Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and found a lot of helpful info but there is one thing I couldn't find a definitive answer to. Can I use a Transmission (AX4N ) from a 98 Taurus in a 2000 Taurus ( vin u code n ) ? Thanks all.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
Nope. Your 2000 is a one year only AX4N transaxle. 2000 models had a newly designed tranny casting, speedsensor and different electronics. What's wrong with yours?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cracked housing , I hope to have it out tomorrow and will post pictures . Unusual problem but I don't know the full history of the car. It shifts and does good just leaks.Thank you for the quick response , so even though the 98 trans will bolt up the housing ( where various sensors mount ) is different , correct? Do you know about what I can expect to pay for a good transmission for this car? I am fairly close to Knoxville ( your signature ) and could come pick one up.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
A complete transmission is $86.06 with tax, warranty and all at the Knoxville Pull-A-Part. I bought a 2000 OHV Taurus on Saturday, it hasn't went out on the yard yet. I don't know what's wrong with the car or the mileage, only that the owner kept the hood and trunk lid to fix a hail damaged car. It might be worth it to pull the transmission from it and use it complete. Or tear them both apart just for a housing. I should add that the OHV AX4N housing year range is 2000 to 2003.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
Well, that 2000 Taurus is out in display yard now. Looks like it had an electrical problem with the cooling fan because the former owner rewired a single fan that didn't look like it was even bolted to the car. The wiring to it was a small gauge speaker wire. This is a do it yourself yard so bring tools if you choose this route. We have a crew to transport it to your vehicle. Sorry I can't help you more than this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts