Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to look at this Vehicle tomorrow for possible purchase. it has 105k miles on it car fax shows 1 owner and very clean. I know the obvious things to look for I'm wondering what major issues you guys have experienced with this vehicle? Mainly concerned about transmission. It has a 3.0L V6 engine.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Check your CV boots and the boots on the rack steering for the inner tie rods, I had the rack and pinion gear start leaking at 180K on my '99 Sable and the same week on my '99 Taurus wagon with 250K. These cars are easy to work on, lot of room with the 3.0 engine. Check your coolant recover tank, look for clean coolant not rusty brown coolant.
Good luck with the car if you buy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going to look at this Vehicle tomorrow for possible purchase. it has 105k miles on it car fax shows 1 owner and very clean. I know the obvious things to look for I'm wondering what major issues you guys have experienced with this vehicle? Mainly concerned about transmission. It has a 3.0L V6 engine.
Transmission, sway bar links, ball joints, all struts, heater core needs yearly flushing. I would not but another Taurus.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check for rust on the front fenders. Open door and look to the bottom of the fender. There is a pocket that catches dirt and will cause rust on the bottom of the fender. I washed the pocket of my 2007 out and then sprayed Rustoleum primer into the pocket and then spray some paint on dry primer.

Check the brake line where it clips to the body. This clip catches dirt and rusts the floor out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Transmission, sway bar links, ball joints, all struts, heater core needs yearly flushing. I would not but another Taurus.
Hmm. Funny, I've had four Tauruses (Taurii? What IS the plural of Taurus, anyway?) over the years. Yes, the '91 Sable had transmission issues. Yes, my current one needs a radiator and water pump. The rest of what I've needed to do has been nickel and dime stuff (except for my wife sucking water into the '99 Sable's engine).

It seems to me that, except for transmission issues (Older transmissions on these are known to be weak), everything you list is normal wear and tear. Certainly not worthy of giving the car a bad rap.

By the way, mine have been:
'90 Taurus wagon - Alternator (maybe?), power steering hose, battery.
'91 Sable wagon - transmission slipped shifting from 1-2 under hard acceleration but was otherwise fine, MAF was constantly getting dirty for some reason,
'95 Taurus sedan (current car) - needs a water pump and radiator
'99 Sable sedan - no issues until my wife drove through a puddle.

Even after all of that, I still think the Taurus is a great car, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
If the transmission maintenance was not kept up with you can count on having to at least replace the solenoids in it shortly at the least.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Really depends on its maintenance history. Assuming the oil has been changes a "few" times; periodic "remove & replace" fluids of cooling system, brakes and trans fluid. Spend a few $ and have a reputable shop go over it. Pay them a few $ now or BIG $ later. It's like buying a house - a pre-inspection report is worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts