Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are pleased to offer the first true coilovers made specifically for the 89-95 SHO! These are high quality units made in Europe not in China like some other brands. So what brand are these? They our own SHO Source brand made for us!

These coilovers are being made! This is the first set for testing.

They do feature the following:
18 settings of dampening/rebound adjustment. They are tied together when you adjust.

Adjustable rear endlinks

Current spring rates: 448lbs front and 336 rear. This may change!

Around 2-3” of drop. This is done by adjusting the body!

Includes front solid mount.

Uses stock rear mount

Optional Caster/Camber Plate for $275 extra.

Rebuildable.

The planned cost for the kit is $1495 with the solid front mount.

Now you can get the best possible suspension for your SHO!

The coilovers can be found here: http://shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_3_59&products_id=428

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Sound great, but a little pricey. When I saw 275, that sounded ok. But thats just for that optional plate. I'm sure some people here can afford that.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sound great, but a little pricey. When I saw 275, that sounded ok. But thats just for that optional plate. I'm sure some people here can afford that.
Pricey compared to what other complete unit that is produced in a small quantity?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
it pricey since a lot off people have eibach koni and so on so yeah it pricey to replace what you payed already

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Updates can be found here: Coming soon to a SHO Source Near you! - Page 6 - SHOForum

From Mike:

The car rides very nice on the coilovers. I have driven the older Ground Control and IPT kitted cars, and they always seemed a little harsh and less than streetable. Our new coilovers are definitely stiffer than Tokico/Eibcach suspension (alt least the blown Tokicos I was running). The struts have 18 or so independent stiffness settings that click so they are repeatable. I am currently testing at 9 for a middle setting. I started out by bucking tradition, so I retained the 24/26 swaybar combination to see how bad it would be. Honestly, the swaybars do not seem to make the car handle poorly. We will get the car to the track in a few weeks to really put it through the paces. I will probably also experiment with the popular 19mm rear/no front sway bar combination to see which handles better.

Pictures are coming soon; I am techno-disabled, so I will get some help from Matt to post pictures. Please note that the pictures of the test car are my daily driver. It has almost 200k on it; we live in the rainy/muddy NW, and I did not wash the car

The main tweak points I need to play with are ride height. Right now, the car looks close to factory ride height or maybe even a little higher. Currently, I have the car set up all the way down in the rear, with about 3" I could raise it if I wanted. I would like to move the upper limit height another 2" lower in the rear for the production models. This will give you useable ride height adjustment in the rear. The front is currently in about the middle of the adjustment. I can come down about 1" or go up 2". I had to work hard and build a custom part to get decent travel in the front, so I think I will leave the front struts as they are.

Our new coilovers will probably use factory rear strut mounts, but I may try to lower the car in the mount. That remains to be seen. The front is set up using the SHO Source camber/caster plates and articulating spring mounts. I have plenty of camber and caster adjustment to put the alignment wherever I want (and it is super easy to adjust).

We are working on pricing and pictures, and you should be able to order them very soon.

Mike

Pictures as requested:

The front assembly with our caster camber plates:

The rear kit with adjustable rear sway bar endlink:

The rear kit assembled:

The test car:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted from Mike:

I am usually an optimist, but I am pretty frustrated with the underwhelming response. There was a lot of support to build coilovers and much complaining that the coilovers took so long to develop. We spent a lot of time and money to develop the first purpose built coilovers for the SHO, and once completed and released, everyone who was asking for them vanished.

We must order the coilovers in batches of 10 at a minimum. SHO Source is currently fronting the cost for the first batch of 10. Based on the lack of orders, the second batch of 10 will only be done via a group buy. I am afraid the first batch of 10 sets might also be the last. There is currently only one, yes one, paid order for the coilovers. That person was not even one of the people vocal in this thread.

Unfortunately, the US dollar is falling and the economy is in the tank. SHO Source does not have bags of development money sitting around to cover additional costs, so we are forced to raise the price on the coilovers $200 starting August 15th. Any orders placed before August 15th will be locked in at the current pricing. As an extra incentive to buy early, we also are offering a $300 non-refundable deposit option. If you pay the deposit before August 15th, you will get locked in at the current price, but you will need to pay the balance when the coilovers are ready to ship.

You can purchase the deposit here:

http://shosource.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=438

I do not want to be Mr Doom-n-gloom, but if you want to actually get a set, you will need to act now. Two of the first sets are going on Matt's and Kurt's cars, and we have one confirmed sale. That leaves 7 sets left. Once they are gone, I am afraid we will be unable to get enough people to justify a second batch of 10.

Mike

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's depressing. Between this & the G3/4 lowering springs? You guys do so much for the community, just to get stiffed.

People complain about the lack of aftermarket for our cars, then they abuse the few people who go out on a limb to offer great parts at competitive prices. That's a nice way to guarantee no aftermarket in the future.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Coilovers

Not one person on the entire TCCA club thinks the new coilovers from shosource are worth it?

I know they will be worth it - every hardcore GL enthusist since I built my GL-R has been begging for utimate handling and adjustibility. I spent $825 on my Intrax/Tociko suspension in 2005 - The new shosource system will only be about $600 more than my $825 - 8 years ago.

I will have my coilovers, rear adj. control arms, h-brace and TCE knuckle braces within 2 weeks and can wait.

Taurus GL-R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts