Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty cool! IIRC, our cars use a light tube for the needle? I wonder if anything like this would be possible with some LEDs...

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's not very colorblind friendly..

If it were me I'd have it fade from blue to red... which seems to make more sense.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The needles are lit up by the 5 bulbs lighting up the whole cluster. Not sure how you could make just the needle change color.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
That's not very colorblind friendly..

If it were me I'd have it fade from blue to red... which seems to make more sense.
The one video was blue to red.... :huh:
The needles are lit up by the 5 bulbs lighting up the whole cluster. Not sure how you could make just the needle change color.
Stick a color changing LED clump in the one for the needle there... when a threshold is reached via a controller that monitors RPM have it modify the LED's being illuminated.... pretty much the same way my blackberry can change its LED colors... :)

I dont know however if the taurus has a single bulb located for the needle.. I cant remember...

Instead of using the stock bulb holder for the bulb that illuminates the needle, just use a harness and wire the bulb differently by modifying the stock holder.

Its do-able... I'd do it but I have neither the money, time, or know how to build a LED controller. Someday maybe. :lol2:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Like i said there is no dedicated bulb to light up the needle. You would have to fab something up with a separate bulb that only lights up the needle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The other suggested videos after the post mentioned a site ledmod.com might be a good place to start, maybe see how they do it and turn it to a DIY project.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is fairly simple to do. You have a red and a blue led. At no RPM (apply for all guages), Blue is at full voltage (5V I think), at middle, blue is at 2.5V and red is at 2.5V, and redline, Red is at 5V, blue is at 0V. To make the voltage changes occur, you just need to put a potentiometer (pot) in there.

I've never seen this before and I'm interested in doing it to my car!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do want.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just made a proof of concept of it last night given that the needles do change voltage as they go up (or the reversal). Now I just need to retrofit two leds onto the needles.. not sure how much room there is on there though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts