Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 2 weeks ago i had a slight mishap and slighty bumped my friends dads GTP. no biggie the dent was no bigger than 5 inches by 5 inches on the passenger side door. his dad was cool about it and i agreed without a problem to see that it gets payed for. he takes it to a body shop and the estimate is about $800. its alot but isn't something i couldn't manage in a month or so. he drops it off, and gets a call a few days later. they say that the have to replace the whole door, because when they took the door skin off the "safety bar" was damaged. so the estimate has went from $800 to about $1500. so now i'm officially screwed financially. Luckily i'm getting a fender to replace the one on my car that recieved that damage for only $50. But none the less i am scrambling for money and even working the maximum hours i can its going to take months to make that kind of money. The part that gets me is that they call it a "safety bar," and all it took was a little 5mph bump to damage it. So much for safety. Anyways if anybody can figure out some way for me to get some extra cash, i would appreciate it beyound words. I wanted to start an online donation, but that is too low for me to even seek too. Just figured i would let out some of my frustration on the forums.

J

·
0 Posts
Why don't you try to get a replacement door for his car from a junkyard??

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because all we found were 4 door GTP's, and its too late to go back because its already in the shop.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course legally, its one thing to be in debt, another to be on an episode of cops for possession.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would anybody here have any objections, if i were to ask for donations? i know its really lame, but i figure the worst that could happen is i get nothing. I'm not expecting anything, just figured i would throw it up in the air.

B

·
0 Posts
Not sure how the donation thing will go, but if people are willing, I won't stop them. $1500 is way too much for a door job, even for replacing the whole thing with a new one. No, I'm not offering to do it, I'm having enough fun untwisting Ashley's pretzel that was once a Taurus.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Check this site out and search for the parts. Expensive if you ask me.
Ponital parts

That door lists for almost $1,000. You figure labor, usually around $38/hour and other parts, such as window tracking hardware, hinges, handles, primer, paint, clear coat, EPA environmental impact fees and your looking right at about $1500.
I feel for ya. We all have are dumb mishapps. Just look at the_spy_guy, for example. I personally tryed to run over a set of automotive ramps, with barely 4,000 miles on my new car. It is just a part of life. Life sucks sometimes. It will pass and many good thinks will happen after you get through this. I hope your friends dad is undestanding if you don't have all the dough right up front. You could always get your insurance involved, but that usually doesn't pay in the long run since your rates will go up. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm borrowing money from a friend, but between car payments, student loans, gas, and now this. i have nothing. Just trying to figure things out. thats all.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
His dad is super cool. he isn't mad one bit. But like he said, he personally destroyed a GTO and a roadrunner, both were his uncles. So he's been in deeper SH#t that i am in. All he cares about is that the care gets taken care of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts