Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member! Great to be here, 1997 Merc. Sable Duratec V6 68.5K miles AX4Ntrans

I have a sneaking suspicion that my Tranny is either low on fluid or out of sync with the TPS.

after a cold start (which it cranks about 2 full seconds, seems a little slow to me) I will pull out of driveway after the idle drop to around 1000 or so, I get to a stop sign and the idle generally sits around 750rpm or so.

Heres the weird part, the rpm will drop very low, to just under 500rpm or so, then bounce up to 1000rpm, then down to 500rpm.

this does NOT happen on a warmed stop, only when the car is cold. the engine is at a solid 750rpm when warm at a stop, not a quiver.

I'm thinking either the idle air control sensor, the throttle position sensor , or the tranny is buggy... Thoughts?

Also, if I replace the TPS, what on the trans do I have to recalibrate?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Sounds like a dirty IAC, my IAC actually gave up on me and my car wouldn't start unless I floored it... You can try to clean it but I recommend replacing it... It will run 40-50 dollars on Rockauto. When you install a new IAC or clean yours you'll want to pull the negative terminal connector off the battery for 5 minute which will reset your pcm and allow it to relearn its idle

·
Registered
619 Posts
Or a coolant temp sensor causing the PCM to think it's hot and you have a lean idle condition until it warms up....kinda like a lawnmower with a dirty carb?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I've read somewhere here in forums that it's a good idea to let RPM drop to at least a 1000 before starting to drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts