Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i already have a cold air intake on my car, but what i want to do is take off the entire foot long section of black flexible hose, run a coupling directly off the TB connecting to the MAF adapter connecting to the rest of the piping. im wonder what all the hoses are coming from that section of the hose. there is one hose right after the maf adapter, one closer to the throttle body, and then a sensor also right by the throttle body. i would put the sensor on the new coupling, and the other hose is coming from the crankcase.

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Ok, first off, why do you want to do this? You must have some goal in mind of what you want to accomplish.

You bet you have a cold intake on your car, they only came with CAI from the factory. Unless your system has a cover that isolates the filter from the engine compartment, you probably don't have a CAI anymore. Decreasing the length of the intake is going to cause all sorts of problems.

Leave it alone unless you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ok, first off, why do you want to do this? You must have some goal in mind of what you want to accomplish.

You bet you have a cold intake on your car, they only came with CAI from the factory. Unless your system has a cover that isolates the filter from the engine compartment, you probably don't have a CAI anymore. Decreasing the length of the intake is going to cause all sorts of problems.

Leave it alone unless you know what you are doing.
Cause what sorts of problems? B)

There is a science, or rather, a math, behind the designing the length and diameter of the air intake pipe. I used to keep an Excel spreadsheet with all of my equations for this, plenum design, runner length, header design and tuning exhaust to the Helmholtz resonance theory, but it is long since gone. Though I do remember that most commercial cold air intakes were never designed using that mathmatical process, most were designed for aesthetical or the belief that the closer to the ground and furthest away from the engine was the best design.

To break it down into simple science, ever bought a pond pump? If not, next time you are at your local home improvement store, stop and look at them, notice how they have posted on them a head height. This is the absolute limit to the pump's capability. As the pump moves fluid, the higher it has to go the less GPM (gallons per minute) it is capable of flowing, velocity of this fluid drops and eventually reaches nil.

Now trade fluid for air, the engine is a large air pump. Do you believe it's head height is infinite? Imagine a STS turbo setup, but minus the turbo. How do you think the response of that engine would be? Yeah, but I'd imagine being the furthest away from sources of heat it would have a rocking charge air temperature. I did the air intake math for a Mazda6 I had at the time, with the 3.0L Duratec, it came up with 2.5" to 2.75" diameter pipe at around 12" in total length. 12" in that engine bay wouldn't have gotten you to even the headlights from the throttle body. Funny thing is, this company called Custom Performance Engineering designed a CAI for the 6, it was the shortest CAI out of all of them, yet it had more than double the power gains of "big names" like Injen, AEM or K&N.

So again, I ask, what kind of problems would his proposal cause? B)

And in closing, maybe he just wants to dress up the engine bay some, maybe he has plans of chroming the factory air box as well. We won't know until we ask, nicely.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
i already have a cold air intake on my car, but what i want to do is take off the entire foot long section of black flexible hose, run a coupling directly off the TB connecting to the MAF adapter connecting to the rest of the piping.
So you want to lose the accordion piping? If you plan on attaching your intake to anything then you're going to be putting strain on the couplers. These engines move in the bay quite alot.
im wonder what all the hoses are coming from that section of the hose. there is one hose right after the maf adapter, one closer to the throttle body, and then a sensor also right by the throttle body. i would put the sensor on the new coupling, and the other hose is coming from the crankcase.
You got your CCV, and your Master Vacuum. These are integral to the proper function of the vehicle. Some say you can cap off the CCV with a filter to eliminate it. I wouldn't.
any ideas?
Sounds like you want to make a short ram. The gain in these cars is a ridiculous amount of noise with barely any power gain. Again, I can see how tuning the intake length can help you make more power, but with the layout of the engine bay the filter won't be getting much cool air, and you'll loose the performance gain.

Personally I think everyone and their grandma has a short ram intake.. everyone wants one. I have one on my Mazda right now until I get my Fujita in. But that's just my opinion.

If you want to do it I'd say go for it. But In all seriousness you should have someway of mounting the intake so it doesn't stress any part on the motor or your intake. I popped many a coupler on the highway and broke 2 MAFS Adapters because of how much my engine moved.... (probably time for some new mounts... :lol2:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like i said i already have the cold air intake, i just want to make it look a little cleaner but getting rid of that black accordion tubing.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you remove the accordion tube (flexible) you have to allow for flex elsewhere or things will break. This has been covered already.

·
Registered
374 Posts
So that begs an answer to the white elephant in the room, which mount is causing the most movement? I would think the torque strut could benefit from some filling in with Windo-Weld or knocking it all out and filling it with some urethane from McMaster-Carr.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Look, if you move the MAF closer to the engine, you create turbulence for one, that will penalize its accuracy. The length of the stock tube creates a more stable and consistent air delivery, when you make it shorter, yes you reduce any resistance, but you also make the air delivery less stable and that results in decreased torque. You can talk theory all you want, but you name me one good example of a short ram that resulting in any real world power gains. From the standpoint of making it cleaner looking, I can certainly see that, but honestly, are you gonna sit there are stare at it? Are you entering the car in a show where the appearance of the engine compartment is going to win you points?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I don't think he's making it shorter. He just wants to lose the accordion tubing.

Also, To be completely honest, even with good motor mounts.. the vulcan and tec move quite a bit.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Look, if you move the MAF closer to the engine, you create turbulence for one, that will penalize its accuracy. The length of the stock tube creates a more stable and consistent air delivery, when you make it shorter, yes you reduce any resistance, but you also make the air delivery less stable and that results in decreased torque.
So you are saying this accordion tubing, which for all intents and purposes is corrugated, which is constantly being pulled left to right by the engine, creates a "stable" and "consistent" air delivery? B)

Also, no one mentioned moving the MAF closer to the engine, as I mentioned in my first post, he just wanted to clean up the look of the engine bay, he wants to replace the accordion tube with a chrome piece, ultimately the MAF stays in the same place. Though speaking of MAF placement, Ford's placement is very close to the worst possible scenario. For "stable" and "consistent" readings the MAF should be placed in the middle of the straightest section of intake pipe. Obviously they couldn't have placed it in the accordion tubing because it supplies way too much of a "stable" and "consistent" air delivery from it flopping around.

You can talk theory all you want, but you name me one good example of a short ram that resulting in any real world power gains.

:lol2:

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is what a CAI is supposed to look like. The intake is not in the engine compartment, so you get colder air, and that means more power, or at least more consistent power.

I definatly can tell a big difference from the one i used to have. My old one was a HAI. I am very glad that i changed it to the one that i have now.:)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
A short ram like that can be fine if there is a shield there to keep the hot air from being draw into the engine, and if the vehicle uses a MAP air density system instead of a MAF.

Notice that I said fine though, you will sill get more consistent results with a medium length intake. Short rams are best for making more noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts