Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello....i have a 2003 SES Vulcan FFV i was wondering if you guys have any ideas of cold air intakes for mine. I already know that they do not make a bolt on version for mine and i know im going to have to do modfications....i would like to stay on a budget around maybe $100 if you have any pics, instructions or thoughts i would like to see them. I want to add some hp to my vulcan and also increase some MPG's :D
Thanks

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
you dont want a "cold air intake" because they dont intake cold air, they bull already hot air out of the engine compartment. the factory configuration is the best for your car, if you want more horse power do what 2000sable said and drop in a k&n and if you are feeling real adventurous remove the intake silencer, you will get the *Warm Air Intake* suound and coupled with a k&n will actually give you more horse power

Intake Silencer Removal

K&N for a gen 4 vulcan

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will the intake silencer make my engine run rough? or cause a check engine light to appear?

sable2000: thanks for the pics...it looks factory i might consider it...is that a pic of a Gen 3...will that work for a Gen 4

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
No and No.

The aluminum will also get hotter than the stock plumbning. I hacked up an SRT-4 intake and made a CAI for my car. No performance gain, but makes a lot of noise.

Removing the intake silencer and routing plastic tubing from the airbox to the fender opening is the well-known way to go. MANY people have done this. It's basically a mod to say that you did a mod. The k&n drop in is nice, too. Re-usable air filters are quite convenient.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Apr 1 2009, 01:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714413
No and No.

The aluminum will also get hotter than the stock plumbning. I hacked up an SRT-4 intake and made a CAI for my car. No performance gain, but makes a lot of noise.

Removing the intake silencer and routing plastic tubing from the airbox to the fender opening is the well-known way to go. MANY people have done this. It's basically a mod to say that you did a mod. The k&n drop in is nice, too. Re-usable air filters are quite convenient.[/b]

how much noise are you sayin there will be...is it a good noise or does it get irritating after a while...is there any obstructions when using aluminum... will it come in contact and potentially melt anything

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
QUOTE (Kyle's 03 SES @ Apr 1 2009, 01:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714415
No and No.

Removing the intake silencer and routing plastic tubing from the airbox to the fender opening is the well-known way to go. MANY people have done this. It's basically a mod to say that you did a mod. The k&n drop in is nice, too. Re-usable air filters are quite convenient.[/b]

how much noise are you sayin there will be...is it a good noise or does it get irritating after a while...is there any obstructions when using aluminum... will it come in contact and potentially melt anything
[/b][/quote]

you are going o get the same sound with the silencer removed and a drop in k&n as you would with a regular cold air intake.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i will try that....so there is no chance of me getting any power gains or fuel economy gains by doing this?

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
You'd be surprised at what the butt dyno tells you with the K&N compared to the regular dyno. The cost of the K&N and oil is not really worth it. A paper stock filter flows more air than you need and is cheap and easy to replace. Just remove the silencer and leave the rest be.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thats saving me 50 bucks....so is there any chance of getting power and mpgs by removing the silencer

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
No. The power form these "kits" are mostly butt dyno. Unless you are heavily modified. Gas mileage, with a cone or a K&N you would see a negligible increase. Driving habits have more of an effect. Bets way to get the best mileage is to keep the car maintained properly.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
We should be having something for the Gen3 here soon maybe the Gen4 later.

If you want more HP and better MPG for around $100 we do have an UDP that will do all of that: SHO Source

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
QUOTE (goodguitar5150 @ Apr 1 2009, 12:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714416
QUOTE (Kyle's 03 SES @ Apr 1 2009, 01:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714415
No and No.

[/b][/quote]

you are going o get the same sound with the silencer removed and a drop in k&n as you would with a regular cold air intake.
[/b][/quote]
This is absolutely not true. The fenderwell CAI setup is considerably louder than a de-silenced stock box + k&n. The noise from either setup isn't bad, and only occurs when you really mash the gas.

I prefer the noise my intake makes to the noise my exhaust makes.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
i seem to disagree with you, my taurus is louder (intakewise) than my friends WRX and the exuast sounded better than his when it was stock, call me crazy but my gen 2 is loud as balls

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 2 Gen 3 Taurus (Taurii?) and I took the silencer out of my Vulcan. Within 2 months, it was back in. Wasted 20 min taking it out (as my bumper was already off) and about an hour with a lot of cursing to get it back on, because the bumper was back on. Most damned irritating sound IMO. You could replace your filter with a K&N, but I don't think it's worth the bang for your buck. Unless you route an intake tube and cone filter into your fender / bumper area, you'll be sucking in hot engine bay air. Stick with the stock setup, unless you really want to start modifying your Bull. Just for the sake of doing something to it, a CAI or an intake silencer delete is a waste of time.

Just my $0.02.

Dave

·
Registered
402 Posts
A K&N panel filter is your best bet. You only have to clean them every 50,000 miles and they never have to be replaced. A cleaning kit is like $10, but 50,000 miles is alot of miles.

You get approximately a 1-4 horsepower gain and 2-4 miles per gallon gain with a slight increase in acceleration. They're worth it in the long run. You could try offering a price at performancepeddler.com, they usually have lower prices than what is advertised on there site. Or you could try autobarn.net, they're only $45.88 there.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You might get 1HP but no MPG change unless your old filter was completely clogged.
The 20HP claims are bogus.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
QUOTE (TempoGT @ Apr 1 2009, 04:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714485
Unless you route an intake tube and cone filter into your fender / bumper area, you'll be sucking in hot engine bay air. Stick with the stock setup, unless you really want to start modifying your Bull. Just for the sake of doing something to it, a CAI or an intake silencer delete is a waste of time.

Just my $0.02.

Dave[/b]
I agree. I took my silencer out last night, rev'd the engine a few times and then put it back in. I have a K&N and the sound w/o the silencer was not noticeably different or better. The silencer really doesn't restrict at all. A cone in the fender or a scoop in the lower grill would be okay but probably not worth the trouble. On a Vulcan anyway.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts