Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 285 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Several people have the short ram intake...but...why would you want one. Removing the intake silencer and getting a K&N or other high performance panel filter is better than that. You still have cold air going into the engine, instead of hot air from the engine compartment.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Mar 10 2005, 01:14 PM
Several people have the short ram intake...but...why would you want one.  Removing the intake silencer and getting a K&N or other high performance panel filter is better than that.  You still have cold air going into the engine, instead of hot air from the engine compartment.

JR
True, about still getting cold air, but I thnk that after you start to move, the air inside the engine compartment will circulate and cool down somewhat as well. Other than that, I did it for two reasons:

1. better air flow (not as restrictive as air box)
2. Pure aesthetics, I think the short ram just looks better.

Here's the short intake before the install:

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/86575/fullsize/intake1.jpg' alt='' width='400' height='300' class='attach' />[/url]

But I do plan on piping it into the fender well soon.

~~Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The issue I found with having cold air vs. short ram is the laggy response I get with the filter so far away from the MAF (I/e downshifting and generall get-up-and-go) Its sort of a delicate balance between distance b/w the TB -> MAF -> Filter. Jeff is right about the air moving once the car is in motion. The temp difference is not too bad when the car is moving, and the response is crisper with the air charge right off of the MAF. I believe the best compromise is an underhood Cold air setup (such as ones made by airaid) that have a box that seals up against the hood, but still has the MAF right on the filter.

I plan on starting an underhood CAI project soon with some sort of ram-air tube setup that will bring cooler air from the fender or the front of the car at low speeds, but will still maintain that crisp throttle response.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I'm not new and I don't even know.

Sure hot air isn't as good as cold air, but I never found it to make that much of a difference when I had the short ram on our 97 Vulcan. If I sat at a stop light for a few minutes maybe, but once moving, air is definitely going to circulate. Do you see how much room is in that engine bay? I could probably fit and stand up in the space between the exhaust headers and the cooling fans. That gives plenty of room for air to flow in from, as well as the hole that's already in the fender well feeding the HAI. I'd have to say HAI are underrated, in the fact that you're not really going to lose power most of the time.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Regardless of whether or not they're underrated, I think a panel filter will get colder air for a better percentage of time, even though it won't flow as many cfm's as a cone filter will. With the panel filter, you also don't need to worry about how long the tube is and how far away from the MAF the filter is. The optimal positioning has already be pre-determined by Ford.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Mar 17 2005, 11:48 AM
i still don't know why ford put the stupid MAF sensor in the airbox for the 04's. that thing is probably soo screwed up from being so close to my K&N air filter. i didn't over oil it, but i have no idea how much oil is too much. expecially being right next to the sensor like it is.
You shouldn't oil it at all. It comes pre-oiled. You won't need to clean and re-oil it for at least 50K miles.

The stock airbox is NOT restrictive. I don't know who started that :bs: but it just isn't true. The only restriction is where the intake tube goes through the fender hole and reduces in diameter.

A K&N panel filter flows enough air to support more HP than anyone on this board has ever approached in any Taurus. Don't assume that your car will ever consume over 400CFM.

The reason why the stock airbox is shaped like it is, and the reason the MAF sensor is fixed in relation to the stock airbox is for uniformity of airflow and accuracy of the MAF sensor readings. If the air isn't flowing at equal velocities throughout the cross section of the MAF sensor, the air flow calculations will be skewed.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Mar 17 2005, 12:17 PM
You shouldn't oil it at all. It comes pre-oiled. You won't need to clean and re-oil it for at least 50K miles.
i'm talkin about the one from my 97 that i put in my 04, that i had already cleaned and re-oiled. i sold that and bought another one for my 04 so i haven't re-oiled that one yet, but the first one i did. and it was in my 04 for over 6 months.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Just spray some no-residue electrical contact cleaner on the MAF sensor wires. That will remove any oil that may be insulating the wires and preventing heat transfer. If you think you may have over-oiled the filter, do this every 10K miles or so and you shouldn't run into any problems.

When I oil my K&N, I use as little oil as possible... I don't even coat all the cotton. After about an hour, the oil wicks through all the cotton and the filter is ready to go with no worries about over-oiling.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Mar 17 2005, 12:28 PM
Just spray some no-residue electrical contact cleaner on the MAF sensor wires. That will remove any oil that may be insulating the wires and preventing heat transfer. If you think you may have over-oiled the filter, do this every 10K miles or so and you shouldn't run into any problems.

When I oil my K&N, I use as little oil as possible... I don't even coat all the cotton. After about an hour, the oil wicks through all the cotton and the filter is ready to go with no worries about over-oiling.
i'll pick some up when i leave to go buy my paint. can i buy it at pepboys or do i need to go to walmart or something?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
PepBoys, AutoZoo, Advance, NAPA... they should all have this stuff:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
hey guys. im doing a modified short ram with (almost) ram air. i just wanted to bring this up as an idea for you guys cause theres a lot of contraversy with short rams. i will update with install pics as soon as i finish the installation. but heres the idea. short ram intake with 3" cone filter. it has a really sweet heat shield that shields all the sides (it is an inch wider than the filter in all spots) with the top side open (narrowist side is top). im going to take out the stock air box and hoses, and instead run 2 inch abs plastic piping, or maybe mandrel bent exhaust piping down into the fender, all the way to the front of the car next to the ac radiators in the lower air vent things. at the tip i will flare the pipe to 4 inches to catch air, and there will be a drain so that i dont suck up water. any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Originally posted by DEDragonknight@Apr 28 2005, 09:04 PM
hey guys. im doing a modified short ram with (almost) ram air. i just wanted to bring this up as an idea for you guys cause theres a lot of contraversy with short rams. i will update with install pics as soon as i finish the installation. but heres the idea. short ram intake with 3" cone filter. it has a really sweet heat shield that shields all the sides (it is an inch wider than the filter in all spots) with the top side open (narrowist side is top). im going to take out the stock air box and hoses, and instead run 2 inch abs plastic piping, or maybe mandrel bent exhaust piping down into the fender, all the way to the front of the car next to the ac radiators in the lower air vent things. at the tip i will flare the pipe to 4 inches to catch air, and there will be a drain so that i dont suck up water. any thoughts?
Short rams aren't worth it. Neither is the ram air idea. You have to be pushing an insane amount of pressure for it to even work. You'd be better off with a pipe into the fenderwell.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I did the Short Ram intake for about a year. It worked well in cool temps and short trips and when I went to the track for slip times, but in the heated temp days in the summer and long trips, it was garbage. My set up now (True RAM) is amazing. Even with the long hose extension, it still has a quick throttle response from the line. I'm sure it can use some improvement, but I'm satisfied for now.

I haven't done, this in a while, but unless I'm racing a newer Mustang GT or someone with a much larger engine, I still beat most people who think they can take me. Above 80 mph, it's like having a boost of and it's pulls like nothing else.

Late

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Originally posted by mykej27@Apr 29 2005, 08:14 AM
I did the Short Ram intake for about a year. It worked well in cool temps and short trips and when I went to the track for slip times, but in the heated temp days in the summer and long trips, it was garbage. My set up now (True RAM) is amazing. Even with the long hose extension, it still has a quick throttle response from the line.
Do you have any pics of the setup?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Ram air = teh suck.

Sorry folks, but it's a PIPE dream. :razz:

41 - 60 of 285 Posts
About this Discussion
284 Replies
120 Participants
TheBoostedKing
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing