Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 285 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The kit is for a newer M3 BMW. I connected the vaccum line from the distrabution box to the blue connector closest the throttle body (on the underside so that no one can see it) The other two are not connected as im going to make a PCV filter system at a later date. Maybe use breathers. No idea!

Anyways. For now it works and it sounds MEAN.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Originally posted by jtkz13@Jun 14 2004, 09:18 PM
That hose is stretched more than a Vietnamese prostitute on an Army base. :D :blink: :ph34r:

Looks pretty decent, nie job. B)
I have one phrase to respond: LOL

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jun 14 2004, 05:38 PM
The kit is for a newer M3 BMW. I connected the vaccum line from the distrabution box to the blue connector closest the throttle body (on the underside so that no one can see it) The other two are not connected as im going to make a PCV filter system at a later date. Maybe use breathers. No idea!

Anyways. For now it works and it sounds MEAN.

Brad
Sweet! I guess for those who want to keep there MAF stock, we can cut the tube down the size and add an MAF adapter.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm so lost, I wish I knew what everyone was talking about. lol

-Preston

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
that is true, but it really does not bother me alot for now, ill eventually fix it properly, and build a catch can for the PVC system. Right now im bust with phase 2 of project Baby SHO

Brad

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is one I made. I bought a Acura Integra LS/GS CAI off ebay cheap and easily modified it to fit all the way into the front bumper. Also I bought the Draxxas MAF adapter. Sounded real nice too. I now use a modified factory air box and a tube from the CAI kit along with a K&N. It is quieter then the full CAI but I liked the reliability of the k&n filter. I may just buy the k&n cone filter and reinstall the full CAI this summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
ok me i want to do that but here a tube is about 60 $ plus depend on size

so if some could tell what model did they get so i could what size and model for the air filter

and me i have a k&n model that goes directly into the original base but the base as been opened up im juste wondering i have a rectangular filter and the base is if 85% full open so this is almost as a coned filter

i have to go and get the camera from my friend cuz me im real real cheap

with 3 kids a dont have a lot to spend at this moment lollllllllllll

·
Registered
394 Posts
'm wondering if you will have problems with the MAF being so close to the TB. Maybe I'm thinking wrong.
That's right... I've read in a technical article about MAFs that it's actually best to have the MAF as far from the TB as possible because the sound coming directly from the throttle body is so intense that it can interfere with the MAF sensor readings.

Anyways, you did an awesome job there.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I like it, every little bit of mod helps, on the early 3.8, the air intake is extremely restrictive, so I did the same, put a BMC cold air intake, including a sealed cone air filter, here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
shouldn't you rotate your MAF so that the connector is on top? this places the sensor element into the path of the slowest moving air, since you've changed the dynamics of the whole intake. at least on SHO's with non-stock air intakes, everyone rotates the MAF that way to keep the sensor in the slowest flowing air.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Jun 26 2004, 07:14 PM
Uhh...don't you guys remember that 10 page thread/debate about breathers on tauruses? I thought the bottom line was that breathers are bad because they introduce un-metered air into the system.
Hey, everyone! Long time no see!

If you have an aftermarket CAI, disconnecting the crankcase breather filters instead is a no-no. Breathers that are no longer connceted to the intake system can actually disrupt the air flow cycle and hurt the performance of your vehicle. Oil catch cans work the best. The stock crankcase ventalator flow lines actually release trapped forced air and allow gases to return back into the engine and during wide open throttle, oil from the crankcase is spat back into the trottle body and can rob the performance over time. The Oil catch cans filter the air (to a degree) and help grab excess oil while you at WOT. If your TB can remain as clean as possible, the less likely your performance will decline.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Posting some pics of my install that I did last weekend.

Edit: Links are dead so were removed; Teh management

The tube in the fender is actually collapsable. In rainy weather I (will be able to) move the filter to a better shielded location. At the moment it is zip-tied to the front.

This is also for a 99-03 BMW that I got off EBay. I had to purchase an extra silicon coupler and the collapsable hose from AutoZone. Stock MAF was cut to allow the silicon tubes to be mounted.

Derek

PS. Cross-posting this in the pinned BMW CAI thread.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Originally posted by d_sellers1@Dec 18 2004, 11:38 AM
Posting some pics of my install that I did last weekend.

Edit: Links are dead so were removed; Teh management

The tube in the fender is actually collapsable. In rainy weather I (will be able to) move the filter to a better shielded location. At the moment it is zip-tied to the front.

This is also for a 99-03 BMW that I got off EBay. I had to purchase an extra silicon coupler and the collapsable hose from AutoZone. Stock MAF was cut to allow the silicon tubes to be mounted.

Derek

PS. Cross-posting this in the pinned BMW CAI thread.
That's a bad spot for your filter. During the rain season, I hope you plan on moving your filter or at least adding a back up bypass filter mid-way through the intake line in case your filter is submerged in water. You may also want to add a filter cover. You have buy one though K&N (I think most aftermarket filter companies offer them), the 2 combine will make it last longer. You'll need to clean your filter every 2 or 3 months, but at least you'd only have to clean the protective bag.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by mykej27@Dec 23 2004, 10:03 AM
That's a bad spot for your filter. During the rain season, I hope you plan on moving your filter or at least adding a back up bypass filter mid-way through the intake line in case your filter is submerged in water. You may also want to add a filter cover. You have buy one though K&N (I think most aftermarket filter companies offer them), the 2 combine will make it last longer. You'll need to clean your filter every 2 or 3 months, but at least you'd only have to clean the protective bag.
Yes I know it's not the best spot. Already noted that. It is an experimental spot to see what it does when it is put there. I already have a spot picked out in the fender for a more permanent installation. Prolly not going to move it any time this year and probably not during 2005. Will think about it in 2006.

Derek

PS. gonna be in Iraq for 2005

·
Registered
920 Posts
My CAI just came in the mail today!!! I have to make a parts store run and probably a run to the junk yard. Will have to wait until it gets a little nicer outside.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally posted by chrism3784@Dec 15 2004, 04:22 PM
I like it, every little bit of mod helps, on the early 3.8, the air intake is extremely restrictive, so I did the same, put a BMC cold air intake, including a sealed cone air filter, here is a pic of mine.
Where can you find the sealed cone filter? I have never seen them, and sadly my attempts to modify an APC cone filter I got awhile back didn't produce the results to make something like that.

21 - 40 of 285 Posts