Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

281 - 285 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Here's my version of the CAI setup from Baby SHO's pictures I like it alot here check it out!
Not being negative here but trying to improve design, there are two issues I see here.

First the bumper skin is blocking at least a quarter and causing flow restriction on close to half of the filter area due to close quarters.

The second is a water issue. If you don't put back the wheel well, which will block the other half of the filter, then water from the wheel will saturate the filter and completely restrict air and may cause water vapor to flow into the intake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not being negative here but trying to improve design, there are two issues I see here.

First the bumper skin is blocking at least a quarter and causing flow restriction on close to half of the filter area due to close quarters.

The second is a water issue. If you don't put back the wheel well, which will block the other half of the filter, then water from the wheel will saturate the filter and completely restrict air and may cause water vapor to flow into the intake.

I put back the wheel well idk why I would leave it off. I did remove the cushion on the inside of the wheel well this filter is pretty big on it's own but I do see what you mean. I used a 3" flexible exaust pipe it is a bit difficult to bend that's the best I could get it to bend this filter also has a mini inverted cone on top with a way in there too. I've been in rain a few times and no issues yet the stock filter was not much higher then this filter now.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I put back the wheel well idk why I would leave it off. I did remove the cushion on the inside of the wheel well this filter is pretty big on it's own but I do see what you mean. I used a 3" flexible exaust pipe it is a bit difficult to bend that's the best I could get it to bend this filter also has a mini inverted cone on top with a way in there too. I've been in rain a few times and no issues yet the stock filter was not much higher then this filter now.

Are you putting on the air dam skirt also or leaving it off. With that on and wheel well plastic on I am not sure where the air is coming from to feed the engine. Also seems like a pain to clean the filter.

Straighter flex pipe will reduce air restriction over a bunch of bends.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you putting on the air dam skirt also or leaving it off. With that on and wheel well plastic on I am not sure where the air is coming from to feed the engine. Also seems like a pain to clean the filter.

Straighter flex pipe will reduce air restriction over a bunch of bends.

I have the underskirt off mostly because I wanted to get easier access under the car I may put it back on I more likely will soon as I still kept it. There are some vent slots on the bottom sides of the front bumper. I didn't want to spend 150+ dollars on any specialty intake pipes and bends there not cheap here. Even though the pipe is flexible each of the bend linkages are very small in depth I have it mostly straight then a bend down with it. i've cleaned my friend's he has a blue one just like mine and it takes a bit of time to clean but is doable.

281 - 285 of 285 Posts
About this Discussion
284 Replies
120 Participants
TheBoostedKing
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing