Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

241 - 260 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
why is it best to put the filter in the fender well? it seems like it wouldnt be much colder there. wouldnt you want it up front more?

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you put it up farther, you run the risk of getting water on your filter [either by spay, ricochet or direct contact (due to you going through water)].

Idealy, no water, then yes you should put it there. Heck, if you would never run it with water, then wide open would be good.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I think that can be a slanted question. On my Aerostar I had to replace my MAF three times, but did not have an intake kit. The factory one failed, replaced with aftermarket, and the low quality of aftermarket MAFs set up a cycle of failures. I finally put a dealer one in and never had another problem.

Oiled air filter elements are known to foul the MAF. Plus any filter that can let stuff through the filter can foul the MAF.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think that can be a slanted question. On my Aerostar I had to replace my MAF three times, but did not have an intake kit. The factory one failed, replaced with aftermarket, and the low quality of aftermarket MAFs set up a cycle of failures. I finally put a dealer one in and never had another problem.

Oiled air filter elements are known to foul the MAF. Plus any filter that can let stuff through the filter can foul the MAF.
Exactly the problem I had with the last car. I know that on some cars the MAF is more sensitive than on others and was wondering how it was on the Taurus (particularly the Vulcan). If I was to make an intake, I wouldn't use anything but an AEM dryflow to reduce the chance of getting oil on the sensor. Basically, if the guys with intakes haven't had MAF issues, I won't worry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
97 sho cai

This is what I made up for my 97 SHO, it will suck small rocks out of the fender and I find them inside the box. Its fully sealed with a 4in dryer hose to the fender. Works great, not sure what the hp gains are. If I leave the top lid off I get great engines noise, but the lid really muffles it quite a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
why is it best to put the filter in the fender well? it seems like it wouldnt be much colder there. wouldnt you want it up front more?
You do run the risk of getting spray in there. i do have a fine wire mesh that covers the lower bumper wholes so i dont get hardly any water spray in there. Youll know if you do cause the car will hesitate when the water hits that cylinders but clears after that.

You do get more fresh air with it there as your not sucking hot air from the engine compartment, that is unless you fully incase the filter and run a tube down into the fender. Youll be surprised as much as someone might think it doesnt work, look at the people that have done it with positive feedback vs people that have and it didnt work. always worth a try.

I didnt notice a 100hp gain but more throttle response then anything else really. as on said 100hp noise increase, MAYBE 6hp performance gain lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've found that the big K & N filter I installed with a short tube leading to the MAF sensor has worked really well for me. I relocated the IAT to after the filter. I know it's hot air, but I picked up power everywhere. It's a 95 3.8 with aftermarket Granatelli wireset, hi-po cap and rotor, Magnaflow hi-po catalytic convertor y-pipe, and PVC bypass. It has 96,000 miles, and runs very strong. This big V-6 needs help, it's restricted on the intake side bad, and also the exhaust side. I want to extract all the power the engine is capable of making before I go to Super Six motorsports ported heads and intake. I want to increase the size of the pitifully small exhaust piping to 2 1/2 inches as well. After all that, a performance tranny is waiting on me to install! http://www.importperformancetrans.com/fordautofwd.shtml

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'll add my photo to this mix :) I just cut off the end of my MAF adapter and slid on a coupler, I have plans to get an old intake from work and go through the fender to get my air though. I measured as little as 37 deg. F on the way to work this morning (it was 34 deg F. ambiant temp outside, and as much as 149 deg F. when sitting in traffic, I have seen numbers that high with my stock setup as well but I want to make the charge as cool as possible. This will get my by for now, it sounds Awesome!!

Troy.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
If we are showing intakes, here is mine so far,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Just a word as a heads up, I have installed a pre-filter on my filter, and I am finding it is keeping the filter much cleaner then without one. Rather inexpensive, and I think well worth the money, it really keeps stuff like leaves, bugs, and large pieces of dirt away from the filter...I am really pleased with how much cleaner the filter is remaining...highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Installed a different filter, added a heat shield and installed an outerwear on the filter.

Troy. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Nice looks good, and you'll be glad you have the pre-filter!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks :) It's already helping, I live down a dirt road (about 1 block) and it keeps the big stuff from collecting on the filter.

Troy.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Thanks :) It's already helping, I live down a dirt road (about 1 block) and it keeps the big stuff from collecting on the filter.

Troy.
Yeah, I am amazed how much it helps, once got the Airaid one and put it on the SHO, which I did when I got the intake, I was kicking myself for not installing them on my other intakes before the SHO, it's made that much difference.

·
Registered
237 Posts
well ill go ahead and add mine to the bunch! my 92 GL!

241 - 260 of 285 Posts
About this Discussion
284 Replies
120 Participants
TheBoostedKing
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing