Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all my original struts/springs with Monroe Quick Struts approx 6 months ago. I was under the car flushing dirt/salt/etc, and I look at all the springs and every single spring has a coating of rust over each and every coil. Isnt that rather quick for that to happen? My original springs had close to nothing as far as rust was concerned on them, and they were on almost 9 years. Am I just being anal about this, and just let it ride like it is?
You would think that Monroe would coat there springs with some type of rustproof ? I suppose I could pull every one of them out, and put a coat of Rust Bullet or Por-15 on all the coils?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
They use A LOT of salt on the roads in winter here, but I wouldn't expect to see surface rust on my coils that soon. Sounds like your parts might have only got primered at the factory, then shipped. They ship tainted peanut butter, don't they?

·
Registered
224 Posts
paint them with por-15...the stuff is great...it is in semi gloss black...brush it right over the rust...idk have not tried it on springs...it might crack....you will just have to expirement with it

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (Kyle's 03 SES @ Mar 30 2009, 07:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713785
paint them with por-15...brush it right over the rust...idk have not tried it on springs...it might crack....you will just have to expirement with it[/b]
No, read the instructions with POR-15, clean scrupulously, remove the rust (and etch) with phosphoric acid rust remover, then apply POR-15. That's if you want it to remain on metal for more than a year or so. POR-15 is a polyurethane that cross-links with the moisture content in air and should be strong and flexible enough to remain unbroken by the relatively small movement (for any given square inch) on a spring.

Phosphoric acid is in POR's rust control and also Naval Jelly. It's likely that Naval Jelly is cheaper.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Same things happening with my monroe quick struts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts