Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Drivers rear coil spring is broken on my 2001 taurus. I spent like 45 mins the other day trying to figure out the bolt location to remove the broken spring. Can anyone post a pic or description on how to remove it? Also is the strut damaged since the weight of the car has been put on it. And Finally would you have to replace both sides or will fixing one side not make it lean a certain direction.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The Drivers rear coil spring is broken on my 2001 taurus. I spent like 45 mins the other day trying to figure out the bolt location to remove the broken spring. Can anyone post a pic or description on how to remove it? Also is the strut damaged since the weight of the car has been put on it. And Finally would you have to replace both sides or will fixing one side not make it lean a certain direction.
[/b]
Ford has a recall out for the 99-01 front springs. Contact your Ford dealer and file a complaint with the NHTSA.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Ford has a recall out for the 99-01 front springs. Contact your Ford dealer and file a complaint with the NHTSA.
[/b][/quote]

I have had the recall work done. This is on the rear spring.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
And, of course, Ford doesn't cover the rears.
Had one rear break on my 01 SEL with 45,000 miles this past spring. :(
I had both sides done including the struts because I plan on keeping the car for a while.
The stabilizer bar links will more than likely need replacing too.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You need to remove th strut.

Undo the strut from the knuckle at the bottom and then remove the 3 bolts from the top to let the strut down.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You have to pull the rear seat out and remove the parcel shelf.

The bolts are then visible and accessable.

You will also have to pull the wheel
Remove the pinch bolt and beat the knuckle down off the strut.

It iwll be easier if you remove the lower control arm and leave the two control arms on.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Not on a Gen3-4. The struts bolt to the parcel shelf and the only way to get to them is to remove the back seat and the parcel shelf trim panel.

·
Registered
283 Posts
and yes replace in pairs always a good idea. besides if the one spring broke the other is prolly gonna break soon. while u have the seat and parcel shelf all apart replace them both.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Just to verify what others have said (because there is false info in the thread as well):

1. You need to replace both sides

2. The strut should be replaced if the spring has been broken. having the strut bottom out with broken springs will damage it in short order.

3. You need to remove the rear seat and parcel shelf to access the three bolts that hold the strut mount to the body.

4. Replace both sides at the same time. It's rarely a good idea just to replace one side when it comes to suspension parts.

I recommend you look into Monroe Quick Struts. Strut, spring, and mount pre-assembled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts