Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting pretty frustrated here.

The car gave me Code P301. Through the help of this site, I know that I need to replace the COP on Cylinder 1. This site has even told me which cylinder that is.

What I can't figure out is what freaking part number do I need to look for for this replacement COP? I have a 2000 SE-S with the 24v Duratec engine.

Motorcraft, RockAuto all have confusing coil packs, ignition coils, sometimes with pictures, sometimes without. The ones I think are right for my engine doesn't specifically list the SE-S as a fit....

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you. You guys rock here.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # FD502T
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # FD502
MOTORCRAFT Part # DG532

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

One more question, since you quoted Standard parts. When I dropped off my car at my mechanic a few months back, he noticed that I swapped out my EGR valve with a Standard brand. He thought I should have stuck with OEM. Apparently he did not think highly of Standard in general.

Anything wrong with Standard? Better than average? Worse?

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Anything wrong with Standard? Better than average? Worse?

Thanks again for the help!
Not great. I've bought some of their new stuff that didn't fit quite right. Don't know about durability. For electrical non-Ford brands I'd stick with Niehoff or Borg Warner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm looking to get a new ignition coil for my Taurus. I have the Duratec 3.0 DOHC with the coil-on-plug (COP) setup.

I'm a little confused as well which coil to purchase. The numbers on the coils currently on it are Motorcraft EE03A XS2U-12A366-AA 983022.

The FordParts.com website brings up a few options in the search, not sure which one is mine:

DG-532
DGE 456
DG-480

Also, RockAuto.com doesn't list Motorcraft or Borg-Warner as a choice. Which to go with?:

RockAuto Parts Catalog

What do you suggest I buy? Car just rolled 200,000 miles

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Just type in the part numbers listed in #2 and you should be able to find the coils. RockAuto doesn't carry BWD coils, but they sell them at O'Reilly if you have one in town.

You could also go with the Delphi coil listed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks. I did find a few more choices on the OReilly website. I think I'll go with Delphi then, as the price is a lot better.

This may be a dumb question, but now that I think about it, since this is a COP system, that means I don't have spark plug wires or a distributor right? It's all computerized? I won't need to replace that stuff then?

I should mention that I'm doing a tune-up for winter and I have a rough idle, the code is a cylinder #3 misfire. I want to change all of my spark plugs out (iridium, probably the last change I'll do as the car has 200k on it now), get the UIM off, replace the 3 rear coils, UIM seals and clean my EGR valve, MAF sensor, replace my PCV sensor and hose while I'm at it.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Yes, with COP each cylinder has it's own spark plug and ignition coil fired by the computer. No more wires or distributors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts