Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you convert any 4th Gen Duratec to the 2000 Coil on plug without changing the entire engine wiring harness? Or are there any good aftermarket six post ignition coils?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
A few SHO people have done it and since the 2000 and the 2004-2005 Duratec came with it, you should be able too. It wont be worth it though as there is little to gain.

Any reason why you want to go to this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to put an aftermarket coil in, but I've never seen any six post coils. They have many coil on plug options on the market. And I would not have to replace plug wires anymore.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I wanted to put an aftermarket coil in, but I've never seen any six post coils. They have many coil on plug options on the market. And I would not have to replace plug wires anymore.
SHOSource offers MSD and Accel 6-post coil packs. The Accel apparently are garbage, but the MSD pack is decent. You won't see much gain from ignition upgrades alone, however.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Does the Duratec use the same wire set as the Vulcan? If so, the information below is applicable.

DUI, Davis Unified Ignition, offers their Screamin' Demon coil and Live Wires, purchase them for a Ranger, since DUI doesn't have an application listing for Taurus, and the Ranger's wire lengths are the closest match to the Taurus.

Ford Truck V6

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Nascar, you havent been looking hard enough then. The Screaming Demon is is great coil and has a supposed "hotter" spark. I'd rank it with the MSD coils because I got one on my Jeep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts