Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 SE-S with the Duratec engine. The car has 170,000 miles, and is not garaged. It was my daily driver for 10 years. It's now my once a week driver and sees about 60, mostly highway, miles a week.

A few weeks ago, during a heavy downpour in the DC area (I think it was the remnant of a tropical storm), I got the P301 flashing check engine light. It was stuttering heavily and I just took the other car in. The next day, when it was dry, the engine started up and made it to the shop without incident. (I didn't have time to change the coil myself)

Today, there was another wet and rainy day. The Taurus exhibited the exact same problem, this time throwing out the P304 code. I'm going to swap out the coil myself this time, but I'd like to know is there something going on here?

Am I missing some larger problem that has rainy wet days creating problems for the Duratec? I use Motorcraft coils when replacing, so I'm not going bottom end here, but is there a gasket or seal going bad that is allowing damp weather to erode my coils?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Most likely that coil has a crack in it and the humidity in the air plus dirt on the coil causes it to short out. Change the coil and you should be fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was planning on swapping it out, however I just thought it was strange that I've had to coil breakdowns in the last two rainy days.

I was wondering if there was something else to check...but I guess I can just chalk it up to coincidence.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will do that. I haven't done that before.

While I have you, is there a possibility that only the boot would need replacing and not the whole coil?

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Dunno, ive never worked on cop (coil on plug), just the solo coil packs. Sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in with cop knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Check for a cracked "boot" between the COP itself and the plug. Not ultra common, but it does happen. If the boot is cracked, can get arcing to ground. Boots can be purchased without buying the whole COP assy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts