Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter just bought a 2004 ford taurus se with the 3.0L V-6, on the way home the check engine light came on so i scanned for the codes and it gave me a PO430 i know these are the catalyst efficiency below threshold banks 1&2. I am assuming that this means the catalytic converter is going bad or already has done so. Is there a way to test these downstream o2 sensors to be sure that the cat is bad or just the sensors? The car runs great no missing or jerking etc. It does have high mileage on it but looks and runs like brand new. If it turns out the cat is bad what would be about the replacement cost on this, i know its a dealer item just trying to get a estimate what to expect. What would cause the trunk to open everytime you start the car? Key can be on but only happens when you try to start it. Any information is appreciated. Ken

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
99% of the time 420/430 are due to the cats being bad. If you got both 420 and 430, I doubt both downstream O2's are bad.

You say high mileage... how high? there is a federally mandated 8 yr / 80K mile warranty on emissions components like cats.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts