Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some issues w/ the Taurus 3.0 Vulcan engine. The engine overheated and now has misfires in cylinders 5 & 6. Am I correct in assuming that at the least, I have a bad head gasket? Coolant may be leaking into the cylinders, but there is no white smoke and the plugs look ok. My plan is to replace the head gaskets and thermostat. Then flush out the cooling system. Water pump was replaced previously. I'll have to double check the heater core for leakage and verify that the fans are coming on before I tear into it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It could be a blown headgasket. Your list of what to check sounds good to me, I would just add checking the oil for coolant and checking the coolant bottle for cracks from overpressure. While you have the heads off you might want to check for cracks or warping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Got the heads off today. Headgaskets and heads look ok, but I dropped the heads off @ a shop for inspection and cleaning. Motor has 124k miles. I'm also resealing the water pump and timing cover. I'm wondering if I should replace the timing chain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts