Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2000 SE Vulcan with 204K. This afternoon drove it 75 miles highway, got in city traffic and the vehicle was sitting at idle. Vehicle started running rough but no CEL at that point. Drove to destination and parked vehicle and shut off. Came out started vehicle and CEL came on. Drove to AutoZone to have scanned, both the PO 171 and PO 174 codes were discovered. CEL stayed on, was able to get vehicle home. Vehicle runs well as long as I'm on gas but when I let off gas, idle drops to < 500 Rpm and either runs rough or stalls. Any ideas--MAF, Oxygen sensor(s), or fuel injection issues?

·
Registered
107 Posts
First thing to do is to unplug the MAF connector. If the car runs better (almost normal) with the MAF unplugged, then the MAF is either dirty or malfunctioning. If it doesn't run any better (well, significantly better, as unplugging the MAF will send the car in limp mode and run the car slightly more rich, which could slightly counteract a possible vacuum leak), I'd suspect a vacuum leak. Remember, the code is on BOTH banks, so it would have to be a leak that affects both banks at once.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts