Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i was getting a P0760 code before taking my car to a 2g cert shop for diagnose why service engine soon light was on and the "o/d off" green light was blinking and car would not shift correctly

they came back and told me the Solenoids needed replaced and i told them while apart go ahead and replace them ALL.

they replace 3 solenoids to the tune of $845 and told me to come get my car

have a mile down the road the service engine light came on and soon after the green blinking O/D off light was on again. I was told to keep driving it so the computer "resets"....which it did not....later that night upon trying to reach interstate speeds i realize i cannot shift into the high gears again.

i took it to get code read.... P0761
HOW CAN THIS BE.....ALL solenoids have been replaced.

PLEASE HELP ME

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Erratic tranny shift points and flashing od off light are classic symptoms of a failed vss. Dunno about the po760 and 761 codes though?
P0761 is a code for stuck solenoid #3 i believe
currently the only code i am getting is P0761 but that very solenoid was just replaced (along with 2 others)with a brand new one and not the cheap kind :)
How many Solenoids are there in total??? can you please tell me?

i found an excellent document pertaining to a similar instance (loss of 4th gear P0761)on here and spoke of a TBS and a failed retaining clip issue.

so far i have
1. "failed retaining clips"

2. bad VSS and/or wire harness to vss

3. They did not replace ALL solenoids in tranny (which is why I ask how many there are)

any other things i can tell my MASTER mechanics to look for? I wonder if i will get any money back for having to solve this issue for them (with everyone help on here of coarse) :D
How they could not tell my car was not fixed is beyond me. And trying to convince me that the o/d off blinking light was normal....hmmmm
i just want to get this over with and fixed right and thanks to everyone here, i believe that is possible. Now if i can just get my Master Mechanic to listen to the Layman Customer...:p

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
There are 5 solenoids total. 3 "digital" of on/off solenoids (SS1, SS2, SS3) used to direct fluid for the various clutches & bands to engage gears 1,2,3,4. Also 2 "analog" PWM controlled solenoids to modulate line pressure (EPC) and TCC lockup.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I also have had this exact same problem to which I never found the solution for.

We checked the valve body and confirmed that the retaining clip was in fact there and functioning. We also replaced the three shift solenoids to no avail.

I'm very interested to find out what you come up with. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i was told today. that i needed to replace the PRNDL switch , have no idea if it will fix it. Ive also been told to look at the VSS but was already led to believe that they inspected this and it was not bad. Im not sure if i believe that fully or not.

at this point i am waiting to have the PRNDL switch arrive that i ordered and then i will have it installed but my sneaky suspicion is it will do nothing more than cost me more money and do nothing. but ill let you know. after that....im looking into rebuilding the ax4n as i don't know what else to do.

I was VERY SUCKERED by the guy that that sold me this P.O.S. and he pray i never find him again as i am not sure he would like it.... :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
ok, i was told today. that i needed to replace the PRNDL switch , have no idea if it will fix it. Ive also been told to look at the VSS but was already led to believe that they inspected this and it was not bad. Im not sure if i believe that fully or not.

at this point i am waiting to have the PRNDL switch arrive that i ordered and then i will have it installed but my sneaky suspicion is it will do nothing more than cost me more money and do nothing. but ill let you know. after that....im looking into rebuilding the ax4n as i don't know what else to do.

I was VERY SUCKERED by the guy that that sold me this P.O.S. and he pray i never find him again as i am not sure he would like it.... :)
I went though something simular to this when I made a poor decision to have the engine rebuilt on a minivan I owned. They're jerking you around, THEY should be the ones to install the part, and fix the transmission that they replaced the wrong parts on, and charged you for! I had to file a complaint with BBB with my engine issue, only to end up taking the guy to small claims court, where I got awarded full refund of my expenses, and then some, and surrendered the van (of which I wanted to be rid of anyway). The van had 2 rebuilt engines put in, both of which had valvetrain noises. It took me 6 months to resolve the issue, and many days without a vehicle. Don't play the game of throwing parts at the problem.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I agree. You're paying them to diagnose the issue and then resolve it. If all they're going to do is throw parts at it, you could just do that yourself and save a heap of money.

I doubt it's your Transmission Range Sensor unless you're having other problems also. Usually when the TRS goes out the power steering will cut in and out, and/or your radio will cut in and out, and/or your power windows will cut in and out.

While it could possibly be the VSS, I doubt this as well. Usually when the VSS is out, it will shift erratically, or will simply not shift out of first gear at all.

Before changing my solenoids, I also replaced the TRS and the VSS. The TRS was about $75 from Ford. I think the VSS was around $60.

Please keep us posted as to what happens, as many people seem to have this issue (including myself!) and it could possibly help others with their diagnostics. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
sorry i have not been on in a few.
I went up today to get the PRNDL sensor installed. Now prior to going into this, i did a lil research and even i knew that there are two different one on this car. one with 8 pin and one with 11 pin. I asked them at least 3 different times were they SURE that this was the correct sensor and they acted almost indignant about me asking so many times.

So im waiting and waiting and waiting and the owner emerges with part in hand telling me guess what...."we did not get the right part" he even came up with some convoluted story about how the box is labeled right but the part inside wrong. But at this time in the game, im paying attention to everything and i noticed that the box is marked with writing saying something about it being restock. They told me it was NEW from FORD. i even inspected the part and it looked dirty and used and i looked up at him with very suspicious eyes and said OK.

Long story short, he puts the old one back in and tells me that it didn't like being removed and being bad having to be put back in till they get the part has now made it not adjustable. meaning this....
Now i have to put my car in NEUTRAL for it to even start!!!! They then closed their bay doors and told me they would try to get the right part tomorrow.

I AM BESIDE MYSELF WITH DISGUST
now my car works worse than when i drove it in today and the so called 2g certified experts don't even know how to order the right part.
How come my searches on the internet have taught me more than their so called training?
I believe they just slapped the old PRNDL switch in and didn't even try to adjust it so id be forced to return to them soon. it was obvious he did not like the fact that he had to do all this labor today for free
ill keep you updated
thanks everyone who commented please continue to do so as maybe just maybe we will figure out this nightmare.

btw....i did make him test all shift solenoids and the TCC and PCM solenoids in front of me thru the plug. I heard them ALL audibly click or engage so i know they seem to be electrically working and the 11pin PRNDL part did look cracked on casing so it is very possible that it is bad.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Amazing how shops like this stay in business.

I had similar solenoid code(s) after 10,000 miles on my
Ford remanufactured ax4s transmission $ 1,650

I swapped it out myself at home

It has 100,000 3yr warranty from Ford at no extra cost.

Brought the car in, they ended up replacing the valve body,
shaft, bearings and the torque converter.

$1,854 repair bill, I paid ZERO as it was warranty work.

Been running fine since.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
ok here is an update.
they replaced the PRNDL sensor and surprise surprise, it did not fix it.
They say that it even is popping the same codes.
so i have a question
is it possible that i have a bad PCM.... if it keeps telling me the same codes and i replaced those "bad" parts and the same codes came back, i am leaning towards a bad PCM
in addition, what are the symptoms of an overheating tranny? is there a smell inside the car? similar to an overheating engine?
what do you think?
btw...i got the part installed for free, just had to pay for part .....
...score one for me, finally!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
I am thinking you have internal tranny problems, like valve body / valve body gasket problems mentioned above. DTCs generally do not tell you "replace part X", they are symptom codes, and are a starting point for diagnosing a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am thinking you have internal tranny problems, like valve body / valve body gasket problems mentioned above. DTCs generally do not tell you "replace part X", they are symptom codes, and are a starting point for diagnosing a problem.
i have a question i want you to clarify if you can
does the valve body contain the shift solenoids inside?
are the retaining clips in this same area?
would using a zip tie or wire tie inside the area that houses the shift solenoids be a possible source for this problem?
yes a zip tie... the pros fixed my tranny inside where the shift solenoids are with a ZIP TIE!!!
i agree and wish this shop WOULD diagnose properly but they are doing the opposite and just replacing part per what ever codes come up on scanner...
what a nightmare

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
would using a zip tie or wire tie inside the area that houses the shift solenoids be a possible source for this problem?
yes a zip tie... the pros fixed my tranny inside where the shift solenoids are with a ZIP TIE!!!
i agree and wish this shop WOULD diagnose properly but they are doing the opposite and just replacing part per what ever codes come up on scanner...
what a nightmare
I'm not totally sure about the zip tie, but there is wires that go through the transmission, maybe it's possible he was tying them up? If I spent almost a grand and the car broke down just up the road from the garage, I would be taking it back, knocking on their door and saying they have a few more days to work it out or the money is refunded. At this point, you've taken it back like 3 times, the issue hasn't been resolved and the shop still hasn't been able to fix one of the most common cars that come in for transmission problems out there. I would say that maybe it's time to take it to a real shop to at least get the right answer. Then maybe take it back and tell them to fix the issue for free (including parts and labour) or refund the money. You could have them fix it for free while you pay for parts again, but I wouldn't be going back there unless it's free work and parts.

A month to fix the transmission? Wow.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
what a nightmare
Is the business a BBB member? I suggest filing a complaint, as this is the 3'rd (or 4'th) time you brought the car in for the same problem, of which has given them more than enough time to resolve the problem, and they have not. Instead, they're giving you the run around, and they probably figure you'll give up and get rid of the car. I would also take the car into another transmission shop to have them look at it, and get a 3'rd partys diagnosis. I feel bad another person has to go through this, but don't give up, at least you should get some, if not all, your money back when it's over, if you play right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.