Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if the code readers AutoZone and AdvanceAutoParts use are actually scanners.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
not sure what you mean by that exactly? but its a great service i always pull up to the door and they just let me use it to to check CEL codes best part is that its free!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have my own scanner, not the fast graphic one though. I am just wondering if the ones AutoZone uses for free code reading can actually read the sensors. Once or twice I recommended to posters to get sensor data, assuming they could get free reading from AutoZone or AdvanceAutoParts. The posters didn't reply. So I wonder if my replies were helpful at all.

A related question. Which scanner brand/model do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, even the top end code readers are not exactly scanners. Scanners can read live PID data and graph sensor outputs, stuff like that. Entry level right now on a basic scanner is still about $300, though over time the code readers will become more advanced.

I use a Dynoscan Palm. Its not as powerful as a Snapon or Genesys, but it can plot live sensor readouts, fuel trims, etc. It cannot read the waveforms on other sensors directly, so for example, I can't see the signal pattern on a crankshaft sensor. Its still much better than most code readers.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
No. They're code retrieval devices. Except the one at my store which I have the nice one that does ABS and real time monitoring and scanning.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yeah, even the top end code readers are not exactly scanners. Scanners can read live PID data and graph sensor outputs, stuff like that. Entry level right now on a basic scanner is still about $300, though over time the code readers will become more advanced.

I use a Dynoscan Palm. Its not as powerful as a Snapon or Genesys, but it can plot live sensor readouts, fuel trims, etc. It cannot read the waveforms on other sensors directly, so for example, I can't see the signal pattern on a crankshaft sensor. Its still much better than most code readers.
There really isn't a clearcut line between "code reader" and "scanner" anymore. Even cheap $100 scanners have PID monitoring functions now. Many feature bidirectional communication. What really separates the professional $5000 scanners from the $100 consumer models are the scope functions and variety and depth of models and retrievable codes. Buying a $5000 Modis at this point in time is pretty foolish, considering that the trend is now towards PC-based software scanning solutions. In 5 years I think these big handheld scanners will have gone the way of the old dinosaur dedicated oscilloscopes.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I have a PC interface cable I bought for about $80 and the software was free. It works with my garage PC or my laptop cruising down the road. Shows pretty much all the data I need (real-time O2 sensor switching and fuel trim data) and then some.

http://www.obddiagnostics.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts