Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
My 1999 DOHC I cam at it from underneath the radiator. Use plenty of brake free. Still could not turn the sensor even with O2 socket. Ended up having friend hold a Pipe Wrench in place while I VERY slowly applied pressure with my foot. Do not rush the removal. Did half turn off and 1/4 turn on. Repeated to not damage the threads coming off and replacing new O2
There is no reason to use a sensor socket on removal. Cut the wires off close. A 6 point deep wall socket and breaker bar will turn it. Sensor sockets are not very strong.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,688 Posts
^^^^ Agree 100%

The wire slot in the sensor socket allows the socket to spread out when any significant torque is applied. When I recently replaced the B2S1 sensor on my 05 Tec, I cut the remaining wires off (several were chewed by unknown critters), and used a deep well impact socket with my 1/2" drive 850 ft lb impact driver. Sensor was out in the blink of an eye.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
7 Participants
Jeff K
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing