Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I don't own a Taurus, but my mother does. It's a 2000 SE and I don't know the engine specs offhand. We took it to AAP & were told it was throwing this code, and that the problem is with the valves sticking open when they release pressure from the fuel lines(?). I'm assuming that the part needs to be replaced, but what I would like to know is is anyone can give an estimate as to how much the part costs (and what it's called) and an average of how much a shop charges to fix it...or how long it may take to fix.

Our local ford dealer wanted to charge $70 just to check the codes...what a rip off when there are two places (AZ & AAP) down the street that will do it for free. She has an appt for a recall on Friday, as well as inspecting it, and according to them they can't pass it if the ses light is on. If I at least know what the faulty part is called, I can call around for estimates & make sure they don't rip her off (or badger her into fixing multiple parts) if she does have them fix it. Sorry this was a long post for what it was.

If you need to know the engine specs, just say so & I'll find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was under warranty until 60kmi, it's just over 70kmi now. For whatever reason they never actually covered anything under the warranty...the thing died on the lot when they test drove it, died 2 wks after they bought it, and died again a month later. After those three incidents they just stopped covering faulty components. We found out what the part was, and called around for estimates. Turns out it's only a $25 part & labor is about an hr.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Auto Zone must get a lot of those and I'm surprised they didn't tell you to try a new gas cap for $7. In many cases, that's all it is. Look at the rubber ring around the cap and see if it has small cracks in it. For $7, it can't hurt to try. The trick at some stores is for them to reset the code to see if that's the real fix. They wouldn't do it at the store I went to because "it's against the law".

·
Registered
116 Posts
federal emissions warranty is 100,000, atleast thats what is is on my moms oldsmobile, also if it fails inspection before 100,000 miles gm fixes whats wrong for free, unlike ford that mostly up till 60 thousand miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts