Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 SE-S with the Duratec and 170,000 miles.

I fired up the Taurus after completing a spark plug change this weekend (including replacing a coolant hose I busted along the way) and I am getting a P0352 code.

Did I do something wrong? Did I miss a connection?

I anti-seized the spark plugs and used di-lectric grease at the outside openings of the coil boots.

I also noticed that at one time, someone couldn't get the screw holding Coil #3 in place, so they inserted a heli-coil. I pulled it out, and had to tap the thing (with the screw still in it) in place. It seemed pretty snug.

I'm hoping I don't have to go back into the rear of that car.

After the work was done on a warm Saturday afternoon, it started up with no code. This cool morning, I received the code.

I guess it's also worth noting that I replaced the plugs with Motorcraft Iridium plugs and that several of the original plugs I pulled out had a fair amount of oil on them. Could that be part of this problem?

Also I did get a P0304 the last rainy day. I haven't yet replaced that coil. I figured it would give me that same code if that were indeed the problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know P0304 means that Coil #4 is going bad. I'm trying to understand where the P0352 code is coming from.

Right now I don't get a P0304, just a P0352. If I clear it, it goes right into "Pending" until I restart the car, then I get the light with the code.

I drove the car about 30 miles. Some shuddering and vibration as well as power loss?

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
304 means missfire on cyl 4, which can be due to multiple things..... vac leak, injector problem, weak spark, low compression, etc. 352 means a problem with the coil itself or its circuit. Are you sure the connector is firmly attached to the coil and no corrosion is present?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm not concerned about the P0304 code, since I know to replace the coil at the #4 cylinder.

Does the P0352 code indicate any specific coil, or just that "a" coil is not operating correctly. Do I need to check all the coils, which would really stink, since it means I have to remove that darn cover again.

All coils were firmly bolted in place. I guess I'll have to consider taking the coil I just bought, and playing musical chairs with it until the music stops.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I knew it would be something simple. I forgot to connect Coil #2! Duh!

Anyways, I guess it's not a coincidence that I was getting a Code P0352

I didn't know that the code corresponded to a specific coil. That was enlightening.

This issue is closed. The engine is running perfectly smooth again!

Thanks all for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.