Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 Ford Taurus SE
Hi, my engine is the vulcan 3.0L.
So I've had this code a while but I've only recently been able to drive the car due to other things that have been fixed but only after the car sitting for a good few months cause we just hadn't gotten around to it.

Anyway, the fixes I have tried so far are just cleaning out the throttlebody with electronics cleaner spray since I read that a dirty throttlebody can cause issues, but to no avail.

The only symptoms I've seen so far for the code is loss of power while driving at a steep-ish uphill incline - which looks to me as loss of power when the engine has a particularly heavy load on it. I have no problems flooring it from a stop whatsoever.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
None of the injectors are leaking, just looked.

(Should have mentioned here that I was looking to see if the injectors were leaking to outside of the engine)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have cleaned the MAF sensor(with the grey crc maf cleaner can), replaced the air filter, cleaned the throttlebody, and still not fixed.

Not to mention that the code was originally only p0172, but after clearing the codes it went to p0172 and p0175, cleared codes again after changing air filter and went back to p0172. What in the world is going on?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just checked the fuel trim and pressure; when idling the car has about 60 - 65 psi fuel pressure and bank 2 has about -3% to -5% fuel trim while bank 1 has -10% to -14% fuel trim.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While checking the spark plugs (which are are clean looking btw) I noticed the vaccum line leading to the top of the egr valve was disconnected. Could that be causing the codes?

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
While checking the spark plugs (which are are clean looking btw) I noticed the vaccum line leading to the top of the egr valve was disconnected. Could that be causing the codes?
100% chance, but code would be EGR code. I had one come off and I was on a trip and had a CEL code with no performance or mpg issues. Hose was off the EGR valve. No idea how that happens.

-chart-

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I reconnected the vaccum line and cleared codes, took a trip to the store and on the way back the same code for bank one rich came back (p0172). I don't know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My cars' LTFT bank 1 is saying -25% and LTFT bank 2 is saying something like -22% or -23%.

So my car is *supposedly* running rich. VERY rich.

But my spark plugs seem to say otherwise. You would expect them to be charcoal black right?

Also, the spark plug that was in the back right of the engine, when sitting in the drivers' seat, has very slightly loose ceramic insulation. I imagine that's bad right? (The one I circled)

I should also mention the car ran on a misfire for the better part of a year, (being driven almost everyday because of school), because we couldn't find out the problem, eventually taking it in to a shop. Turned out to be a bad injector wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That plug with the loose ceramic actually has almost the entire ceramuc sleeve cracked loose, that is probably what caused the uphill misfires.

And probably what is causing rich aswell!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I've heard of smoking out a leak, and I've also heard of spraying carb cleaner on various vaccum hoses and seeing if the idle bumps up from the cleaner burning. But I'm not sure how safe and wise it would be to start spraying carb cleaner everywhere.

Also if it means anything theres pretty strong vaccum on the hose leading to the fuel pressure regulator ontop of the bank 2 fuel rail.

I've heard of people sucking on a vaccum hose somewhere to check if the engine stumbles aswell, which hose would that be?

I also have a code for a gross EVAP leak that I saw on the FORScan Lite app, could that be playing into the rich scenario?

Also, the rubber right angle connector to the top of the egr valve nipple also had a ripped off piece about where the blue line is here:
20190707_021733_1562483917666.jpg
So I just pushed the hose down a bit farther on and figured it was enough.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts