Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read many of the old threads about the various brakes upgrades, and I have become familiar with them. I just have a few specific questions to clarify with those who have more experience with this than myself.

Since I just upgraded to 16'' wheels on my '99, I am planning on doing the 11.6 brake upgrade. However, while I am at it I'm considering doing the Cobra calipers as well. I am not much of an aggressive or speedy driver, but I just like the idea of having the best possible brakes for my car, and doing it more for fun, if I can afford it. I know there are real "big brake" setups, but they cost more (and also often involve 17'' or bigger rims).

So I just have a few clarifications/questions:

1) Am I correct that the caliper/bracket combo for this upgrade is from '94-'98 Cobras only?

2) I know that the mounting portion of the caliper bracket has to be milled flat. Is this something I can (carefully) attempt with an angle grinder, or should it be done by a professional machinist? (Not that I have much experience with drilling and tapping new holes either, but I feel like that is probably more in my range of ability, I hope.)

3) Will this upgrade possibly make the braking TOO MUCH biased to the front? I wasn't planning on doing anything to the rears, just have the standard gen 3 discs back there; will I have balanced braking?

4) I know I need a different banjo bolt, but will the stock rubber hoses work otherwise? I wasn't clear about this.

Thanks guys!!!! This forum is the best!

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
I have read many of the old threads about the various brakes upgrades, and I have become familiar with them. I just have a few specific questions to clarify with those who have more experience with this than myself.

Since I just upgraded to 16'' wheels on my '99, I am planning on doing the 11.6 brake upgrade. However, while I am at it I'm considering doing the Cobra calipers as well. I am not much of an aggressive or speedy driver, but I just like the idea of having the best possible brakes for my car, and doing it more for fun, if I can afford it. I know there are real "big brake" setups, but they cost more (and also often involve 17'' or bigger rims).

So I just have a few clarifications/questions:

1) Am I correct that the caliper/bracket combo for this upgrade is from '94-'98 Cobras only?

2) I know that the mounting portion of the caliper bracket has to be milled flat. Is this something I can (carefully) attempt with an angle grinder, or should it be done by a professional machinist? (Not that I have much experience with drilling and tapping new holes either, but I feel like that is probably more in my range of ability, I hope.)

3) Will this upgrade possibly make the braking TOO MUCH biased to the front? I wasn't planning on doing anything to the rears, just have the standard gen 3 discs back there; will I have balanced braking?

4) I know I need a different banjo bolt, but will the stock rubber hoses work otherwise? I wasn't clear about this.

Thanks guys!!!! This forum is the best!
The '01 and later Bulls use the Lin Cont brakes. They are plenty adequate for a car ~300# heavier than the wagon which is ~300# heavier than the sedan. And the Cont had 50% more cubes under the hood and no speed governor. In my little OP, you are talking about fixin what is not broke.

-chart-

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure you're right in reality...but then all the fun of modding would be gone... :D:D

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
IIRC, the Cobra brakes used the smaller rotors, but had 2 piston calipers. As Chart mentioned, the 2001+ had the larger rotors (same as SHO) with the single piston calipers. So, single piston calipers with larger rotors and pads, or two piston calipers with smaller rotors and pads. I can't say where one is better than the other.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if I do the Cobra upgrade, I get both. Double pistons and 11.6'' rotors. Just have to modify the bracket. (It's the GT calipers that used the smaller rotors.)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The Cobra calipers only work with the 13" rotors and require 17" rims. The 11.6 upgrade is a good upgrade unless you plan to start racing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Cobra calipers only work with the 13" rotors and require 17" rims. The 11.6 upgrade is a good upgrade unless you plan to start racing.

The Cobra calipers can also be used with 11.6'' rotors and 16'' wheels as long as the caliper brackets are modified. There are threads on this forum that discuss it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I recall you discussing it in some of those threads... :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Loudsho, do you know if the stock Taurus brake hoses will work with the Cobra calipers, i.e. are they long enough? There was some discussion of it in other threads, but I'm not sure what the conclusion was.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The Cobra calipers can also be used with 11.6'' rotors and 16'' wheels as long as the caliper brackets are modified. There are threads on this forum that discuss it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I recall you discussing it in some of those threads... :D
Yes I think it has been done only a couple times. I would highly suggest using a mill and not doing it by hand. If you do this upgrade you are not getting that much now. You have reduced the Cobra 13" moment arm which is the advantage over the 11.6" and you use the thinner and smaller 11.6" rotor so you loose the heat retention ability. At that point you gain very little to say you only have Cobra calipers.

That is why we have the 12" kit so you get the thicker rotor and you can upgrade to 13" at any time. The 11.6 modifications are not reversible. http://www.shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_23_19&products_id=11

Loudsho, do you know if the stock Taurus brake hoses will work with the Cobra calipers, i.e. are they long enough? There was some discussion of it in other threads, but I'm not sure what the conclusion was.
Yes they work but you may have to grind the fittings a little.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is why we have the 12" kit so you get the thicker rotor and you can upgrade to 13" at any time.

Interesting. What comes in the 12'' kit? Do you guys basically redrill and tap a hole in the bracket (similar to what I had in mind but slightly different hole location obviously), but leave the old hole also? And then redrill 12'' rotors for the 5x108 pattern? What else does it entail?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Yes that is the basics. We CNC do the machining. We redrill the 13" rotors and turn them down to 12". We also engrave SHO into the calipers.

The 11.6 requires more then just r-drilling the holes as you have to offset due to the difference in the rotors.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
You have to grind the mounting flange down until the step it gone. If you don't grind it straight, then the caliper sits at an angle.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ya got that, thanks. I think I'm just going to do it, I know that loudsho pointed out that a lot of the gain of the Cobras is gone with the smaller rotor diameter, but I can't spend the money to upgrade to 12'' right now, and I'm sure that it's still better than the regular 11.6. At least many members here and on the defunct SHO forum seem to think so. I found reman Cobra calipers including the brackets on Amazon (one by Centric, one by Raybestos) for a total of under $150 so I think that's pretty good. And btw it seems that nowadays you can buy the brackets on RockAuto for like 20 or 30 bucks each so if I ever did want to upgrade the brakes and needed to replace the brackets it wouldn't be prohibitive.

Crackhead, have you or people you know done the Cobras on 11.6 and found a braking improvement over regular 11.6?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
azure
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing