Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, 1997 SHO. Been having some issues with with some lights not coming on on my dash. The first light that stopped working a few years back was the high beam indicator light. Not a big deal really. But now I've noticed my ABS is not working and the ABS light is not coming on and it does not illuminate with the key on. This is also now true for the brake indicator light. I have pulled the cluster and change the bulbs around and cleaned the connectors but still nothing. Not sure if the ABS light not coming on is a faulty ABS module but you would think it would throw a light. I have also tested the brake light by putting the hand brake on, and the light does not illuminate. Might starting removing the battery to get at the ABS module and clean up some ground wires and connectors. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Your ABS unit is probably dead. Common problem. You can remove it and send it out for repair with a lifetime warranty. You can drive wit the abs unit removed. A search should bring up posts on it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Done lots of research on the issue, first ive head of the lifetime warranty. Just find it strange the light is not working at all and if my ABS module was faulty i would expect a problem with my speedo. Thanks, ill do some more digging

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello, 1997 SHO. Been having some issues with some lights not coming on my dash.
Had both problems too: no P-brake light and no ABS light at key to ON or START.

The brake warning light I fixed by checking the connector at the brake master cylinder fluid level switch. My DRLs and P-brake indicator were not working. I tested the connector and indicator bulb by grounding the light green+yellow wire with key to ON. The warning light worked, so the problem was the P-brake switch under the dash. These get dirty and thus become stuck open, so your DRLs never come on and you never see the warning light when you engage your P-brake. WD-40 and work the switch in and out to clean out gunk and grit. Always use your P-brake!

The ABS no-START-light issue is tricky. It could be a failed module, which I'm told by a Ford tech is pretty common, but you can test your ABS module to see if it lights the dash indicator. The diagram I have shows Pin 22 at the ABS module C1057 connector is a dark green wire to dash ABS light. Backprobe and ground that dark-green connector with key ON and it should light up your ABS dash light. Then you test for DC 12V all hot leads to the ABS module--for mine, I ground one at a time Pin 2 (orange+yellow), then Pin 13 (tan+red), then Pin 14 (light blue+black).

NOTE: some diagrams seem to have mixed up Pin 14 LB/BK for LB/PK.

I haven't tried these tests yet but I suspect I may have a bad wire from the ignition to the ABS module. This may explain no ABS test light on dash at ON or START--and an OBDII scanner saying "umm you don't have an ABS on this car."

Hope this helps you. I'm going to try these tests this weekend because winter's coming and I doubt Canada has any ABS module rebuilders for the Taurus.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all this. I was able to find your discussion from 2017 and now have the Diagrams you are looking at! I was able to fix the brake light like you said, it now comes on with the hand brake on (dirty connection), also comes on with the master cylinder LG/Y to ground. But still not coming on with the the key on, not sure if this is normal...

The ABS module. Using the diagram. I was able to back probe the DG wire (pin 22) to ground. Was able to get the light to come on, so light is working. Also, confirmed the light is working by disconnecting the ABS connector C1057 at the module and the light is on.
Back probed Pin2 and Pin13 with multimeter to ground. and got 12volts. Pin14 with key on and got 12 volts. All good
Checked connector grounds by disconnecting the connector and checking 12v to Pin1, Pin21 and all is good there.
Also, connected ForScan to my OBDII port, and it is not seeing the module. Ive heard that this is also an indication of a bad module.

So not sure what the problem is here? Are we sure this this light is supposed to illuminate on key on?? If so maybe it is a bad module. I am now going to take the car out to a gravel road and see if the ABS is in fact still not working. There is some other tests that I had found on another forum that I will try and find and get posted on here. Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for all this. I was able to find your discussion from 2017 and now have the Diagrams you are looking at! I was able to fix the brake light like you said, it now comes on with the hand brake on (dirty connection), also comes on with the master cylinder LG/Y to ground. But still not coming on with the the key on, not sure if this is normal...

The ABS module. Using the diagram. I was able to back probe the DG wire (pin 22) to ground. Was able to get the light to come on, so light is working. Also, confirmed the light is working by disconnecting the ABS connector C1057 at the module and the light is on.
Back probed Pin2 and Pin13 with multimeter to ground. and got 12volts. Pin14 with key on and got 12 volts. All good
Checked connector grounds by disconnecting the connector and checking 12v to Pin1, Pin21 and all is good there.
Also, connected ForScan to my OBDII port, and it is not seeing the module. Ive heard that this is also an indication of a bad module.

So not sure what the problem is here? Are we sure this this light is supposed to illuminate on key on?? If so maybe it is a bad module. I am now going to take the car out to a gravel road and see if the ABS is in fact still not working. There is some other tests that I had found on another forum that I will try and find and get posted on here. Thanks!
Key to ON you should see every warning light as these are the car's self-tests on startup. If your brake warning light isn't coming on with key ON, I'd guess a check of wiring involved with ignition cylinder. Maybe I lucked out there because my dash brake light always works--unless that P-brake lever switch gets fussy.

I'm betting I'll have same results as you for my ABS wiring test. I know the ABS light should light up with key ON and stay lighted for 5 seconds during start-up routine. Thing is we hardly notice when lights don't light!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I have been doing some reading on the issue. I am obviously convinced the module needs to be replace. A clue that the module is going bad would be poor ABS or no ABS and possible loss of speedo, but has anyone had problems with their power steering with a bad ABS module? On the diagram below it looks like info from the ABS is used in the SARC module also. This is likely to give input to the module when to harden the struts and to stiffen the steering VAPS (Variable-assist power steering). The reason I ask this is because I have been having problems with my steering going stiff at random times. Has anyone had this issue at all with a bad module? Basically the faulty ABS module can cause a whack of different problems, who would of known! I found a test procedure for a loss of speedo I believe. See test procedure below:

\
G1 Check Speedometer
Road test vehicle
Is speedometer operating?
Yes
Go to G2
No
Go to G5

G2 Check The Odometer Reading
drive vehicle over a known distance
Is odometer reading inaccurately?
Yes
Go to G3
No
Go to G4

G3 Check Speedometer Accuracy
Drive vehicle at a steady speed over a 0 km (16 mile) distance and record the total distance travelled.
Does speedometer meet speedometer calibration tolerance specification?
Yes
System OK
No
REPLACE speedometer assembly

G4 Check SARC Vehicle Speed PID
connect Rotunda New Generation Star Tester or equivalent to data link connector C229 beneath instrument cluster.
Access SARC PID: VSS_SRC. Refer to Suspension Control for procedure and entre PID list.
Drive vehicle.
Observe vehicle speed via PID VS_SRC
Does vehicle speed indicated in PID: VSS_SRC reflect approximate vehicle speed?
Yes
Go to G5
No
SERVICE Circuit 679 (GY/BK). Go to Antilock Brakes / Traction Control Systems.

G5 Check Circuit 679 (GY/BK) For Open Circuit
Using an ohmmeter connect one lead to Circuit 679 (GY/BK) at anti-lock brake control module connector Pin C1057 and the other lead to instrument cluster Pin C251, Circuit 679 (GY/BK).
Measure resistance.
Is resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to G6.
No
SERVICE Circuit 679 (GY/BK) for open circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

G6 Check Circuit 398 (BK/Y) Ground
Connect ohmmeter to instrument cluster connector Pin C250 , Circuit 398 (BK/Y).
Measure resistance to known good ground.
Is resistance 5 ohms or less?
Yes
GO to G7.
No
SERVICE Circuit 398 (BK/Y) for open circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

G7 Check Clip To Cluster Circuit Connector
Disconnect instrument cluster connectors C250 and C251
Using an ohmmeter, measure resistance of speedometer indicator terminals to printed circuit where they seat.
Is resistance 1 ohm or less at each indicator terminal?
Yes
GO to G8.
No
REPLACE contact clips. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

G8 Check Printed Circuit
Reconnect cluster connectors.
Using an ohmmeter, measure resistance from speedometer contact clips to instrument cluster connector according to chart.
Pin/Clip Function
C251 Power Input (RUN)
C250 Ground
C251 Vehicle Speed Input Signal
Is resistance less than 1 ohm?
Yes
REPLACE speedometer assembly. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.
No
REPLACE instrument cluster printed circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, you have the SHO, which means your speedo takes it all from the ABS wheels sensors. The best I can say is test-ground your DG wire on the ABS connector, key-on, to see if it lights the dash indicator. If it lights, you check for voltage at the hot leads 2, 13, 14. This is from a Ford tech who says replace ABS modules anyway.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea all those tests were good, just throwing that info for anyone in the future. The SARC module takes speed info from the ABS module and uses that to stiffen the steering. So apparently, when your driving fast on the hi way, the steering will stiffen up. I'm not seeing any speedo issues so not sure why my steering is acting up (been getting stiff after driving a while). Could be related to the ABS or maybe I have another issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts