Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to swap out a instrument cluster from a 90-91 and put it into an 88 with no problem? Are all the connections the same? I've been wanting the 140mph speedo, or indiglo guages, but all I can find are for 90 and up. I'd love to see how fast I'm really going since I dont have a limiter on my bull. Thank you in advance for any help.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Mustang. 2005 Harley Deluxe. 2016 Freightliber Cascadia.
326 Posts
It should be ok, both are first generation. If they are disparingly different with wiring you should be able to find what you need to get it to fit without much trouble.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Well, '86-'89 models aren't willing to accpet '90-'95 cluster, but I guess if you rewire that harness, you could get it to work. Otherwise, you'll have to use an '89 SHO (no other year) cluster. I believe '86-'89 Taurus needs to be specially wired for the tach to work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Tach wouldnt bother me....I already have the line running from the distributer to my dash for a tach I have on my dash. Thanks for the info...seems like I need to go visit my local u-pull-it and look for an SHO for the cluster, and front + rear bumpers and side skirts. BTW any of you guys and gals know how high an 88 vulcan can rev? I have my shift point set on 4200, but I need to adjust my tv cable and have had the engine up to almost 5k racin a honda on I-95 before I got off it fearing I may blow the engine.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I can get the Essex upto around 5.5k in 1st before it shifts. I think it's the same for the Vulcan.

BTW, you'll find an '89 SHO by the way the interior looks. The cluster looks exactly like the Sable's cluster while the dash should look exactly like your Taurus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts