Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes yes I've searched already. Been on the site two hours and still can't find this.

I have a G4, I wanted to put blue LED's for the lighting in my instrument cluster. I ordered them, they were 74's, did not fit, so I made them fit....anyway, they glow and come on but, it is incredibly dim, and still green.

I did my research and discovered that the G4's apparently have green tint on the gauge faces instead of blue tint with incandescent bulbs making it green. That pissed me off.

So. That means I have to remove the tint with nailpolish remover or something right? That means pulling the needles and living with an "almost" right position for them?

If I do this, will the LED's really be any brighter through it? They seem incredibly dim and if it doesn't work, I Do not want white gauges when I swap the bulbs back.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. I have a very small time frame to complete this for I am moving. If it's too much of a hassle I will just leave it alone for now.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Roach, click on the Topic Finder and scroll down to: Gauge Cluster Swap Info, then down to: 1996-1999 LED Lighting. He used 5 of the 6w led #194 style bulbs for the black-based illumination lights and 11 of the #74 single led bulbs for the tan-based indicator lights. He color-matched the #74 bulbs (red for oil, brake, battery etc., blue for high-beams and green for cruise and turn signals). This how-to tutorial is also in the Wiki in the modification section. If you used #74s for the black-based illumination lights, thats probably why they appear dim. Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
if you remove the green tint replace it with clear scotch tape to magnify your lights but it will bend the lightning so they arent blinding you but it will also make it spread use a black sharpie and dot where the needles go its not hard just dont rush it and to change it back to green they sell some kind of translucent paint at hobby shops u just slap on there

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah alright. I'll just save this project for a later date since there is a lot more too it. Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts