Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing was wrong with the car except the rotors needed to be changed. I swapped out rotors, put everything back together and test drove the car. Upon braking, the left front has a clunking sound. Sounds like a pad was loose. took everything apart, repositioned everything and still clunks. It only does it under braking and in drive or while coasting in neutral. its not a humming sound like a bearing and cv's don't click. Neighbor says it sounds like might be bearing or backing plate on pad. backing plate clips on but is not glued to pad. Also, new rotors have some play where studs go through but right one dosen't have this sound. I'm hoping not bearing, seems too sudden. Any input would be appreciated.....daughter just got license and anxious to drive.:unsure:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
clunking after rotors replaced

Previous owner changed pads only 8 months ago. I did rotors and clunking started. Removed loose backing plate from pad and clunking gone.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Previous owner changed pads only 8 months ago. I did rotors and clunking started. Removed loose backing plate from pad and clunking gone.
Check the Brake Bias switch, back by the rear suspension. I just had my rear brakes and some rear suspension work done and I forgot to re-adjust the switch when it was re-installed. It started making a similar noise to your description and I even had the rear brakes seize up. Once it was properly adjusted, everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Just a couple things I would probably double check. I've done a lot of my own brake jobs and repairs over the years and if there is a problem sometimes I overlook the obvious.

In my experience a bad wheel bearing or cv/axle shaft does not make a clunking sound so it would be either brake or suspension related.

Make sure the rotor is going completely on the hub. It can hang up a little and still let you put everything back on. It's probably not that if you don't hear/feel it rubbing on the caliper but still something to check.

Make sure the caliper and caliper bracket bolts are all tight. If those were lose it could definately make the sound you describe and with only your description to go on I think this might be the culprit.

If you are referring the the thin metal back on the pads as being loose that makes me wonder if they are the correct pads or just not installed correctly. Some pads have them and others don't. I think basically they are intended to reduce vibration noise in combination with a lubricant on the back. If the correct pads are installed in the caliper the way they are supposed to fit there really isn't any extra room for them to move around and 'clunk'.

While you are down there also check the swaybar end links, strut rod bushings, lower ball joint, and outer tie rod end. I would also bleed the brake lines. Even if the braking feels firm enough the old fluid can soak up moisture over time and cause problems. When I flushed the brake fluid on the Taurus I have now I collected the fluid in a glass jar and after sitting on my work bench a few days the gunk that settled to the bottom was just disgusting!!

Good luck and let us know how you come out with this!
Kevin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts