Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again guys,

I've got another problem that I need help with, although this time it may be a bit more difficult to solve than replacing a bulb. My car is a 1992 Mercury Sable GS, V6 3.8L. The problem is that whenever I'm driving around fairly slowly (50km/h and under) and I go over any bumps, dips or other inconsistencies in the road, I get noises that sound like clunks. Anything over 60km/h tends to be fine. It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car and that it would be suspension related. Herein however lies the problem. I have been trying to get this fixed for quite some time and have not been able to. My mechanics have also been struggling with it. About 5 months ago, my struts needed replacing, and I thought this would solve the problem, but it didn't. The ride is a lot smoother now, but the clunking noises remain. Also, new bushings were put in a short while after the struts, and they helped a little bit at first, but al of late the clunking is getting a lot worse. I notice that the noises aren't as common or are at least a little quieter when I am accelerating as I go over the bumps or whatever. When I just let the car coast, the noises are extremely frequent and irritating, especially on older roads in poor condition. I was hoping that you guys would have some thoughts and experience with this matter and would be able to give me some things to look at before I head back to the mechanics who struggle with it. If you need any other information, please let me know. Thanks in advance

-Evan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Feb 21 2004, 07:00 PM
Spare tire and jack flopping around in the trunk?
nope. I had all that out at one point when I had a flat and had to use the spare. The clinks were still present with an empty trunk.

I'm beginning to think that its some sort of loose panel or something else in the back seat area, but I just can't pinpoint it.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
This is a lame suggestion, because surely the mechanic would have looked at this, but you could check whether the endlinks from the anti-sway bar to the struts are broken. On my 96, one of them rusted through and snapped. I was getting clunks in the back about like you described.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Feb 21 2004, 10:48 PM
Did they replace the strut mounts when they did the struts?
sorry, i forgot to mention that. yes, they did replace the mounts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I also have the same clunking noises that Evan describes in my 1993 Sable, and I can't figure out whats causing it either. My endlinks appear to be ok. My mechanics claim that the clunking is coming from the strut mounts, however Evan says that he had his strut mounts replaced and the clunk is still there, so I guess that must not be the problem.
I have noticed that the clunk seems to be louder when the weather is real cold.
I agree with Evan that the noise can be extremely irritating, hope we can figure out what the culprit is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had 4 Tauri and both my 92 and 95 had a rear-end clunk. The 92 was due to a bad rear strut mount. The 95 sounded like a bowling ball rolling in the trunk and hitting something, esp. on accel and decel. Turned out there was a TSB to replace the gas tank because Ford left out some baffeling to stop the gas from sloshing around, thus the gas hitting the sides of the tank and "clunking." <_<

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
my 97 clunks in the cold too, but not really noticable when it's warm. I figured it was the struts being iced up, but that's just a guess. My suspension system is still original.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Dave@Feb 22 2004, 01:53 PM
The 95 sounded like a bowling ball rolling in the trunk and hitting something, esp. on accel and decel.  Turned out there was a TSB to replace the gas tank because Ford left out some baffeling to stop the gas from sloshing around, thus the gas hitting the sides of the tank and "clunking." <_<
what exactly is a TSB? although the noises don't really sound like a gas tank issue, it may not be out of the question.

I am going to jot down all of your suggestions and go see the mechanic on monday and see what they have to say. This sounds like it has been a fairly common problem for taurus/sable owners and being able to solve it would be a big help to many people. Any other suggestions that you guys are able to offer before tomorrow would be appreciated and will be taken into account when i go see the mechanic tomorrow. thanks

*edit* I too have noticed that the clunking is a lot worse in the winter time or in colder weather, however it is still quite prominent during warmer times. The weather has been quite reasonable lately (5-10 celcius) and it has died down a little bit but not enough, imo.

-Evan

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
what exactly is a TSB?[/b]
Technical Service Bulletin. Official annoucements from Ford about problems found (or sometimes just suggestions. One TSB only discusses cleaning the leather seats in the SHO
)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Originally posted by Evan@Feb 22 2004, 02:19 PM
I am going to jot down all of your suggestions and go see the mechanic on monday and see what they have to say. This sounds like it has been a fairly common problem for taurus/sable owners and being able to solve it would be a big help to many people. Any other suggestions that you guys are able to offer before tomorrow would be appreciated and will be taken into account when i go see the mechanic tomorrow. thanks

-Evan
Hey Evan did you get a chance to take your car to your mechanic about your clunking noise yet? If you did I would really like to hear about what you found since I also have a Gen II Sable with the same problem, please keep us updated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the same clunk when I'm coming to a stop, but it doesn't bother me that much, good to know its nothing serious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts