Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys, Hope all is well. I have a 2013 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5 V6 with 78,000 miles. I hearing a clunking noise, especially at left front wheel while having someone turn the steering wheel back and forth. Parts replaced thus far are sway bar links, front struts, inner and outer tie rods. Also have rattling noise when going over bumps. Any idea on what is wrong with this thing? Could it be the rack and pinion going bad or what? While driving down the highway, no vibrations are felt until going over bumps in road. Thanks

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Well, it depends on where the noise is coming from. I know on earlier model Tauri there were issues with the Subframe bushings wearing out. This would be heard when going over bumps as the subframe shifted slightly and produce a pop near the foot of the passenger or driver.

There are also mounts for the transmission that could potentially cause this noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, it depends on where the noise is coming from. I know on earlier model Tauri there were issues with the Subframe bushings wearing out. This would be heard when going over bumps as the subframe shifted slightly and produce a pop near the foot of the passenger or driver.

There are also mounts for the transmission that could potentially cause this noise

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for responding............where are the transmission mounts and how would i determine if they are bad? We already had a driver sat in the seat, hold brake and press accelerator in both drive and reverse. The engine only rotated minimally. Also, when the front of vehicle is raised off the ground, there is no noise heard when turning the steering wheel back and forth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you can get it to clunk at rest turning the wheel back and forth - get your head down there and listen. If it is repeatable, then should not be hard ti find.
Key suspects - Inner and Outer tie rod ends, ball joints and A arm bushings (front or rear)

Standard test for front end looseness - With the car on the ground, and then again up off the ground - grab each wheel at 3 and 9 and shake in and out.Repeat at 12 and 6. Any movement is bad.

The rattling is likely something different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts