Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Mercury Sable with 187000 miles. It has the 3.0 vulcan with ABS and drum brakes in the rear.

I was driving through a parking lot and it had some uneven surface, but nothing major. I all of a sudden heard a sound like something was shifting in the trunk, but only when I am making a left hand turn.

I had 3 computers in the trunk, which I put in the back seat and it still made the sound as I though that what was making the noise. The PC's are out the car and there is nothing in the trunk. I don't what it is and If it could be a possible hazard on the road, I would like to get it fixed. Could it be the rear coil springs?

It doesn't make the sound when turning right

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
How are the rear endlinks? Did you bust one? The attach between the rear strut and the sway bar.

Could be your springs as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Rear endlinks are fine. The springs look OK, is there a way to tell if they are bad, is the knocking sound trying to tell me the coils are going.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I would inspect the LR drum assembly. You may have something loose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know approx how this will cost me to repair and can I let it go for a while or should I take a garage to get it looked at?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Well, we don't know what you need done, so, cost? who knows? Let it go? Depends on what's wrong.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would suggest pulling both rear wheels off and really inspecting those springs. They can break off a full coil and look okay because the fractured end is still in the groove of the strut and the broken piece fell off along the way. If the end of the spring looks jagged you have a broken spring. With the car resting on it's wheels you can measure from the ground to the top of the wheel arch on both sides and see if the distance is the same. Broken springs can be very dangerous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts