Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Vulcon powered 2002 ES sedan 133k on it. I'm getting a clunking from the front end. I thought I had it figured out with the sway bar end links. But the previous owner must have replaced them because the they are metal, not plastic, and there is no play in them. I don't want to play hit or miss $$$ I'm thinking ball joints or struts. When I push down on the car the struts seem fine.. Are ball joints the logical conclusion?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've had a similar problem for a little while now. Except I've replaced both struts, springs, and mounts on the front end. Endlinks show no play whatsoever and I too have a clunking\popping noise coming from the front end. I don't know what it is either?

·
Registered
290 Posts
wouldn't it be a bad case of ball joints. although subframe bushings sounds about right...

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
what about strut bearings?

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Skinnyguy59 @ Apr 6 2009, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715674
I've had a similar problem for a little while now. Except I've replaced both struts, springs, and mounts on the front end. Endlinks show no play whatsoever and I too have a clunking\popping noise coming from the front end. I don't know what it is either?[/b]

If your getting a popping then its probably your lower ball joint going bad, if you dont want to spend money on unessary repairs take it to a shop that does free estimated and let them figure out whats wrong so you can replace the right part.

·
Registered
402 Posts
QUOTE (Oakleyman @ Apr 9 2009, 07:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716559
QUOTE (Skinnyguy59 @ Apr 6 2009, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715674
I've had a similar problem for a little while now. Except I've replaced both struts, springs, and mounts on the front end. Endlinks show no play whatsoever and I too have a clunking\popping noise coming from the front end. I don't know what it is either?[/b]

If your getting a popping then its probably your lower ball joint going bad, if you dont want to spend money on unessary repairs take it to a shop that does free estimated and let them figure out whats wrong so you can replace the right part.
[/b][/quote]
That might be the case, but I've already had them inspected. Ball joints show little to no play. Not enough to cause any noise at this time. The sway bar bushings look to be dry rotted though, but I've been assured that that wouldn't cause noise either. I'll tell you one thing, I've searched from head to toe and all the usual spots to cause noise seem fine. I'm missing something.

I'm getting the impression the Taurus suspension really doesn't like to be altered.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would say strut mount/bearing, if the sway bar links and sway bar bushings are ok.

Skinnyguy: I just put my eibach's on a week ago, now my right front strut mount decided to start groaning, damnit!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
QUOTE (94clit @ Apr 9 2009, 11:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716631
I would say strut mount/bearing, if the sway bar links and sway bar bushings are ok.

Skinnyguy: I just put my eibach's on a week ago, now my right front strut mount decided to start groaning, damnit!![/b]
If your referring to the spring squawking/groaning when the front end bounces, then that should go away after you've driven on them for a while. Mine did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts