Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
yes it works wonders. I use turtle wax's headlight restorer. Cost like $8 and is enough for 10 applications. has buffing pads with the kit. anyone will work. but the kits seem to last longer then just the 1 time wipe.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I recommend the Sylvania Restoration kit. The great thing about their kit versus pretty much everything else is that you do it once, and the headlight stays clear. If you use the Turtle Wax kit, you will have to redo it, it won't take as long to fade as the original lens finish did either.

I have used many kits, and basically the Sylvania is the only one you will find at the parts stores that restores the clearcoat. Everything else strips away your clearcoat without replacing it, leaving the lens more vulnerable to future damage from the sun and from micro particles.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
yes it works wonders. I use turtle wax's headlight restorer. Cost like $8 and is enough for 10 applications. has buffing pads with the kit. anyone will work. but the kits seem to last longer then just the 1 time wipe.
^^ I use this as well with GREAT results but I take it a step further and re-clearcoated my headlights, they have been great for the past 2 years since I have done it.

The key to not getting the "fogged up" lenses is making sure you wash your headlights when you wash the car and park in shady areas or in the garage if you have that luxury ;) so the sun doesn't do any damage to your lights. Of course there is always Lamin-X which I highly reccomend as well instead of re-clearcoating the lens.

What KhanTyranitar is saying is true though, it will come back with the turtle wax kit and any other kit (Sylvania included) over time, the only way to prevent it is to re-apply the clearcoat or polish the lens and protect it with lamin-x.

Troy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Have you ever heard of a product called goo gone? It is a yellow liquid in a bottle its made for removing sticky labels. crayon marks etc. It will uncloud your headlights very easily. I've seen it for a buck a bottle at dollar tree or maybe a hardware store or wal-mart. /

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
^^ I use this as well with GREAT results but I take it a step further and re-clearcoated my headlights, they have been great for the past 2 years since I have done it.

The key to not getting the "fogged up" lenses is making sure you wash your headlights when you wash the car and park in shady areas or in the garage if you have that luxury ;) so the sun doesn't do any damage to your lights. Of course there is always Lamin-X which I highly reccomend as well instead of re-clearcoating the lens.

What KhanTyranitar is saying is true though, it will come back with the turtle wax kit and any other kit (Sylvania included) over time, the only way to prevent it is to re-apply the clearcoat or polish the lens and protect it with lamin-x.

Troy.
I think you misread or misunderstood what the Sylvania kit is. The Sylvania kit reapplies the clearcoat, so why would it fade? In other words, what you said is that the only way to stop the fade is to reapply the clear coat by reapplying the clear coat. The final step of the Sylvania kit is the new clearcoat that they supply with the the kit. If it didn't, then I wouldn't recommend it over the Turtle Wax kit.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think you misread or misunderstood what the Sylvania kit is. The Sylvania kit reapplies the clearcoat, so why would it fade? In other words, what you said is that the only way to stop the fade is to reapply the clear coat by reapplying the clear coat. The final step of the Sylvania kit is the new clearcoat that they supply with the the kit. If it didn't, then I wouldn't recommend it over the Turtle Wax kit.
I see, you stated this
KhanTyranitar said:
I have used many kits, and basically the Sylvania is the only one you will find at the parts stores that restores the clearcoat. Everything else strips away your clearcoat without replacing it, leaving the lens more vulnerable to future damage from the sun and from micro particles.
So naturally I thought that it was some sort of "Renew" not a replacement, my fault for not doing further research and just going off what I thought you said. :blush:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Fortunately I haven't needed to use any of these, but agree the Sylvania kit looks best. If you go to their site, they have a video showing actually using it. My brother in TX tried the Meguiars kit on his wifes GM minivan, and didn't do a thing. He ended up buying new replacement headlights from Rock Auto.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Clear coat is just that , Clear coat Paint.

What came on the factory headlights is a Clearcoat with UV protection.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have also used Meguire's PlastiX with great results. You will use very little of the product and will have plenty left to do again if needed. It also works great on the cluster lens and the gear shift indicator.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Again, as I have pointed out many times, the Mequire's does not work well. Its results are short lived, and it leaves the lens more vulnerable to damage than it already was. A polycarbonate lens that has been stripped of its clear coat can be scorched by the sun all the way through, no longer is it just surface damage. This scorching results in deep cracks and a permanent cloudiness.

I think the age old adage my parents taught me applies, do it right or don't do it at all.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
^ Holmes on homes, lol! Do it right the first time!
:clap:

I just hit my lights with a compound and wax every 6 months...

My Tbird lights Before

After

Takes all of 2 minutes per side and usually lasts ~ 6 months.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think mine are damaged beyond the rapairable though I did use the Meguire's kit and it didn't do a darn thing I was just afraid of sanding the lights cuz I wasn't sure on what the result would be and have to replace the lights anyway. The tabs that secure the headlights are pushed down under the fiberglass cross member and I am not wanting to pull the fenders off just to get to where i can pull that brace off.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
You might want to try going to your local junkyard first...I found a pair of replacement lights that someone had just installed before junking the car 10.00 each ..just sayin'

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
whats the easiest way to get the lights off the car cuz the bars are pushed through the holes and it looks like the only way to get them out is to pull off the cross member over the radiator. i'll try to post pics tomorrow when i get the chance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts