Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

Lou, here. 2000 Taurus SE Wagon, 45,000 mi., Duratec engine.

Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar experience? In the morning when I start up the car for the first time of the day (and this only happens at the first start of the day, all subsequents starts though the day are "normal"), I hear what sounds like a clogged exhaust that seems to disappear rather immediately. The best way to describe it is to say that it sounds like the car has "chest congestion" that disappears after a good cough!?! It sounds as if the sound comes from just past the driver seat toward the center of the car (underneath, of course).

Could it be a clogged resonator?

One last thing. Does anyone experience a rather loud rumble when driving in reverse? It seems to me that when I am parking and am in reverse the car sounds louder than when I am in drive.

I could be noticing these things now because the weather is nicer here in NYC and I am driving with the windows open, thus allowing me to hear every noise the car makes. Could I be stressing too much!

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lou, NYC

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Not sure about the driving in reverse thing, but as for the "clogged" sound, it wouldn't be a resonator that far up on the exhaust. The resonators are further back, near the gas tank. The catalytic converters are near the center of the car, so it sounds like it would be them. I haven't, however, heard of a cat being clogged after 45,000 miles. I still have the original cats on my Duratec after 75,000 miles, and I don't have a problem with them. I would take the car to a muffler shop and have them take a look at the cats. While you're at it, have them replace the cat with a high flow cat, and get a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler on it...

JR

1 - 2 of 2 Posts