Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this before, and it was replied to (according to my email, it was at least spy_guy), but it looks like it was lost cause the archive ends on the 4th. anyway... I was just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to relocte the manual Climate controls on a '01 SES to the roof (like in the SUVs) so I can clear out my center dash to mount my entire TaurusPC...

Heres an idea on how its gonna look:

and the Climate Controls would be located between the Visors (I know it wont totally fit, I'll figure something out), mainly, I'm just wondering if the switches for CC are Mechanical or Electronic.

Oh, and does anyone know how deep the das goes? (Is it a foot deep at least?)

·
Registered
712 Posts
IIRC, 2 are electronic (fan speed and temp). The other (defrost, vent, floor, etc.) is vacuum.

So, it's completely possible to relocate, but you will have to route a handfull of vac lines up your A-pillar (that sentence sounds dirty).

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
by extending the Vac line, is that gonna cause problems? (ie: taking forever to switch from floor to vent/not having enough vacuum to do the job)

also, I think the CC to the roof my not work out because I want a sunroof and the CCs need to be further up in order to not hit my sun visors... any other suggestions on where I can put the CC units?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I like this idea. I think I'll add it to my new SHO/SVT design, only with GPS

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by silvapain@Dec 6 2003, 05:37 PM
Do you have a floor shifter, or is it on the column? If you don't have a center console, you could build one and just run the CC down there.
I have a column shift w/ foldout center console (bench/6th seat)... I've offen thought about making it a perminate console and using it as spare room, but i kinda like the flip seat (even thou I dont use it that offen, but it comes really handy when needed)... I was gonna make my PC outta a MiniATX / MTX form factor (ie: shuttle PCs) and place it under the center dash, that way I can have the PC in the cabin/cockpit and not the truck (saves tearing up the car and wiring to the trunk and back)... but then I stumbled on MiniITX from VIA...even thou there isnt an AMD/Intel proc avail (Only VIAs own C3 proc...ie: Cyrix), Its not gonna be a gaming PC, just a media Library and GPS... I gonna run Media Engine 2.0 in it with an Earthmate GPS system and have a DVD player in the unit... if worse comes to worse, I do have a cubby over the ash tray that I can rigg to hold the PC, but I dont want to cut the car up if possible (I know I'll have to mod the roof to put the CC there, but I'm willing to do that, at least, cause if it doesnt work, I'll jus install my sunroof that I wanted to and they haveta replace the ceiling piece anyway) but I definatly want the LCD screen in the dash to deter theifs...

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I came up with this, too... instead of mounting the Clmt Cntls in the roof, I'll mount it on the side... I can also make the backglow Blue ... make it all glow blue behind the dash (like a neon or neon tubing) that way, I still have the vertical room I need.

If anyone knows how to fabricate plastic... PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!
also, nothing in this is to scale yet, and I know that i'll have to move things around because where the stereo removeal tools haveta go... these are just generalzations...

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by PC_Marine@Dec 6 2003, 06:33 PM
If/When you actually go through this project, please takes lots of pics for us to marvel at
I will...what fun is a toy if you cant show it off?
I'll prolly take pics of the puter in its diff stages and then the final install

and, theres not "Ifs", I'm gonna do it...LOL

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by silvapain@Dec 6 2003, 11:26 PM
I thought about somehow installing my notebook into my dash, but I can't figure out how to put a 13" LCD screen in the dash. Any suggestions would be nice.
tuck and fold...

you put it near the top of the dash, and have it slide out, then down over the dash

·
Registered
712 Posts
For those interested in a project like this, the best website that I have found for info, help, and ideas, is Mp3Car.com.

I am also planning on putting a carputer in my Taurus.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Also, if you make smaller knobs, you can move them closer together. I think that I figured you can get them as close as 1.25", center to center.

My plan is to put a 10.4" screen in the dash of my Gen4. I am planning on relocating the vents to either side of the monitor, so I can get the screen as high as possible. The top of the screen will be where the top of the vents are right now. I am going to move the CC knobs to below the vent on the drivers side, and stack them vertically.

I am going to dinner now, but maybe after I will sketch my plans.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You all forget about the fact that if you want, you can simply hook up the climate control system to be controlled by the computer digitally. It's pretty easy to do, and it's fairly common.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by TaurusGuy@Dec 7 2003, 11:31 AM
You all forget about the fact that if you want, you can simply hook up the climate control system to be controlled by the computer digitally. It's pretty easy to do, and it's fairly common.
I thought about that, but I dunno how to program too well, besides, I dont trust Microsoft for anyhting vital...LOL... I can prolly rig up the temp and fan easy, but I dunno about the vac lines... I also wanna make the PC something I turn on if I want to, I dont wanna boot my PC just to adjust the AC...that'd be too combersome

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
heres my design layout for my TPC, sorry for the large picture size, its close to in scale, but I wanted something to work with... I'll prolly tweak it a little more, but I stil wanna put my CCs in the roof...LOL I just haveta figure out how to back light it in this config:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts