Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my A/C quit blowing cold air (leaks in the system) while my wife was driving, she thought she'd solve the problem by PUSHING HARD on each of the control buttons repeatedly (Off; Auto; Def; Def/Floor; Floor/Vent, Etc.). In the process, she cracked the plastic on all but two. At night, you can see the light glinting through the busted buttons. Anyone with any easy and cheap ideas for replacement? Can one get to the back of the CC console DIY
to replace these things without dropping the whole dash (I also own MG's, so that prospect is a nightmare -- voice of experience), or do I chalk it up to age of car and DDBW (Damage Done By Wife) and live with it? '93 Taurus LX, 105K. Thanks for the assist . . .

B

·
0 Posts
What you need is a climate control from a 95 Taurus/SHO. They have hard buttons which are indestructable, even by a pissed off wife. They aren't cheap, even used they go for about $100, but you'll never need another one. This is a common problem with these units from 1990-94, and I am not aware of any type of repair for it. People usually just upgrade to the 95 unit, which is plug and play.

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by UnDeR EsTiMaTeD@Dec 16 2003, 10:58 PM
Mine are pretty cracked as well. So basically, the only real replacement is from a 1995?
The 1995 ones come with stronger buttons, so yeah, there's no point buying a different year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, XLSuruaT, I'll go with the '95 system when I get tired of the cracked mess. Is there an easy way to get it done, or am I looking at dropping the dash or something? I haven't bothered to look in a Haynes manual or the like for directions on replacing the instruments . . .Thanks . . .

·
Registered
411 Posts
You might want to try car-part.com

I got mine there for my old Gen 2 Sable for $50 from a 1995 new style Continental.

The 1995 models from the Taurus, Sable and Lincoln Continental (new FWD V-8) will fit, they are also all blue displays which match, not green like the later models.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, let me clarify. I appreciate the sources for the parts. That notwithstanding, my original question still stands. I need help with the technical side. How do I get the replacement part in? Drop the dash (how??) or something less painful??

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by jrand53@Dec 23 2003, 01:43 AM
Okay, let me clarify. I appreciate the sources for the parts. That notwithstanding, my original question still stands. I need help with the technical side. How do I get the replacement part in? Drop the dash (how??) or something less painful??
http://www.taurusclub.com/modules.php?name...=article&sid=57

Steps 3 and 4 detail how to remove the trim bezel on the dashboard. The panel outlined in step 3 is the one that is directlu above your knees, and is covering the lower steering column. Sorry for the vagueness there. Step 12 details how to remove the HVAC controls. The manual and EATC heads are similar in removal procedure.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I replaced mine in the '93 SHO with one that had hard buttons and was not from a SHO. Don't remember what it was from though. The lighting is a yellow/green instead of blue/green.

There is a thread on THE OTHER FORUM that tells how to use any year EATC front in your pre-Gen 3 car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts