Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any clue what might cause nearly ALL the clearcoat on my car to start peeling over time, without the actual paint being affected in the least?

I had that one nasty spot near the back of the car that always annoyed me, now it's peeling at the antenna, and on the moulding of the passenger side door. Amusingly enough, none of this is happening on the driver side, making me think maybe the passenger side went through some body work in a past life and whoever painted it did a piss poor job.

I keep smoothing out the mess and applying more clear coat myself, but it's starting to peel more rapidly than I can keep up with, and the areas I've reapplied the stuff look horrible because I'm afriad to sand the clearcoat too hard else it may scratch, and I don't feel like repainting the whole car.

Every week now I'm washing the car and applying a clear coat protectant to try and hold back the storm, but it just isn't helping.

Aye Dios Mio, someone got any clue?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Color sand the whole car and re-clear it.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
that usually means at one point or another the car was repainted by a body shop, happens to most cars I've seen, my moms old van had it real bad.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yea, it was obviously not prepped very well before the clear coat was put on. Sounds like they let the basecoat dry too long before spraying the clear, and didn't bother to scuff it. As long as its worth it too you, I would sand the whole car down with 600 wet and get it re-cleared. Or if you have any experience with painting cars I know a place where you can get a pretty good gallon of clear coat for only $65. and do it yourself. Good Luck =)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Though I know it'll look horrible, I'll likely wind up just spraying the clear coat onto the thing as it peels to keep the spots that are already exposed preserved. I don't really want to invest in a paint job or any heavy duty painting of my own, especially considering I have no garage to do it in and I'd have bugs in my paint job or something.. o_O

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Just another ****** Ford paint job. I'd rather not talk about the clear coat issues I'm having right now. :(
[/b]
At least it's just clearcoat for you. My car just don't like paint. You can walk up to my driver's door and scratch all the paint off with a fingernail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
having all the clear coat peeling off my 2003 Ford Taurus SES has ruined my enjoyment of an otherwise good car. cheapest estimate i have received to repaint is $1800.:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts