Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice at the wash, you can clean your engine. The wash that you do it yourself.
This may seem kinda stupid, but im just wondering..
Is this good for your engine?

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
I wouldn't use any kind of power wash!! :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had great results with spray foaming tire cleaners... Mequiars worked the best. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
402 Posts
QUOTE (Skindred @ Mar 24 2009, 12:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711680
so is that a no??[/b]
Lets put it this way. I power washed and cleaned my engine with a degreaser. Got it super clean. Let the car sit overnight. And the next day the car started rough and then stalled. Started it again and the check engine light came on and it continued to run rough with a varying idle. And over $500 later at Fords come to find out that water from the power washer had gotten down under the rubber caps on my plugs and fried the front three plugs. I had three cylinders not firing. I will never power wash my engine again! Go with what s2knott told you and use a toothbrush and some cleaner. It's the best way and the safest trust me.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've power washed engines in my cars each year with no problems at all, you just need to be very careful, and use those empty Walmart plastic bags you've saved to cover everything thats electrical, like the sensors, coil pack, battery, fuse box, air filter housing, etc. I use the Gumout Engine Brite Gel, spray it on the greesy parts, sit 15 min, I use the power wash at the carwash down the street from me (only do this when the engine is cold). 1 cycle with the soap, one with the rinse. I clean everything else that was covered with a damp rag. Never had a car not start from doing this. Good luck, and be careful :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
QUOTE (austex04 @ Mar 24 2009, 03:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711714
I've power washed engines in my cars each year with no problems at all, you just need to be very careful, and use those empty Walmart plastic bags you've saved to cover everything thats electrical, like the sensors, coil pack, battery, fuse box, air filter housing, etc. I use the Gumout Engine Brite Gel, spray it on the greesy parts, sit 15 min, I use the power wash at the carwash down the street from me (only do this when the engine is cold). 1 cycle with the soap, one with the rinse. I clean everything else that was covered with a damp rag. Never had a car not start from doing this. Good luck, and be careful :thumb:[/b]
+1. You'll hear bad experiences all the time. People use full blast on their components holding the gun to close to the engine. I cleaned my 97 SHO engine NUMEROUS times this way and never had a problem. I let the car run while I am doing it and be careful. After, soak up puddles with a towel.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright, well i guess ill stick to the safe way and use a tooth brush...
i dont want to take any chances. i have very little money to put towards my car, if i did damage something id be out of a car for awhile.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I've cleaned many engines down at the spray wash joint. I always leave the motor running and keep the nozzle a foot or so away. Be careful around the pulleys. If you spray that area too much, you'll blown out the lube and end up with a squeak. I am planning on doing mine again this Friday. I'll try to take pics and post them.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I was too chicken to use a hose. So some rags, water, and quick detailer spray is what I used.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would never clean the engine while it's running out of fear water and/or moisture could get sucked into the engine somehow, whether it's a leaky intake, or anything else.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (Dave SES @ Mar 24 2009, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=712002
I've cleaned many engines down at the spray wash joint. I always leave the motor running and keep the nozzle a foot or so away. Be careful around the pulleys. If you spray that area too much, you'll blown out the lube and end up with a squeak. I am planning on doing mine again this Friday. I'll try to take pics and post them.[/b]
Thanks maybe you can show how far you hold the hose away from the engine. Take some before and afters??
:banana:
:mj_banana:

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Well, I didn't take before or during pictures. Sorry. It wasn't really too dirty. But now, it looks great! Yesterday I checked all the hoses, tubes and wire connections to be sure.

As I washed, I held the tip of the nozzle about 18-24". You have to insert the nozzle a little to get to the Trans housing. Stay away from the pulleys and belts (I had a slight squeak after the wash that went away pretty quickly, probably the belt)! Stay away from the exhaust manifold (a little bit will steam up).

First, I sprayed it down with the engine cleaner. Then, I used the soap (which is usually hot). Then rinse well and finish up with spot-free. I used about seven or eight minutes. Take a good long ride afterwards.

If your engine is reall bad, don't try to get it all the first time. Do it maybe every six months. After a year and three washes, it should look pretty good.

I don't recommend anybody doing this, of course. It is at you own risk!

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I have washed my car engines at the car wash since I was a kid.
Back in the day you would always get moisture in the Distributor cap and have to take it off and dry it out.

Just don't stick the wand 2 inches from electrical connectors and stuff and you will be fine.

Get it clean to begin with and then keeping it clean requires very little effort.

I also spray everything with Tire foam.

Looks good and protects.

Had one time that I did it and the belt squeeled and wouldn't shut up. The belt was worn out so I Figure that was the real reason.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Key points.
- Don't wash your engine hot. Best to wash when it's cool / luke warm at best.
- Protect all vital electronic components with a protective covering (i.e. aluminum foil is great)
- use of a good APC (All Purpose Cleaner) in a diluted solution is best for normal/maintenance cleaning. Only use full strength if need be
- Don't let the soap solution dry, rinse frquently if need be
- use of a brush to agitate soiled areas
- when using a pressure washer, never use full stream or close proximity to the engine. I usually keep the end of the turbo nozzle 5 or so feet from the surface being rinsed, just enough to get some water coverage to rinse the area, nothing further
- using compresed air or a vacuum with blower feature, blow dry the engine compartment
- wipe remaining areas with MF towel
- apply engine dressing of choice (optional)
- start the car and let it warm up, then go for a drive. This helps to dry out of remaining water hidden in crevices, etc...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Touchy subject here.

Some say "clean your motor".

Some say "Don't"

My second car was a 1979 Toyota Corolla. I bought it from these 2 old ladies for $400 and the inside and the outside was like brand new. I bought it in 1993. The car was immaculate to say that it was as old as it was. I popped the hood, and the motor looked brand new. After a short test drive, and putting cash in their hands, their parting words were: "Keep the car clean. Wash off the motor. A clean motor is a good running motor. Take care. Thanks again, Bye"

Those words stayed with me because I was not in a position to argue. The car was in excellent condition in 1993 and looked just as good as it did in 1979. That says a lot about the ladies' practice of continually washing the motor through the years (they were the original owners).

Pic of the Corolla:

So, through the years, I have remembered just what those ladies said. And I DO clean my motor. I do not make a practice of spraying the motor with a high pressure hose.

Just last weekend I took the Blue Bull to the car wash, and this is what I did:

1. I killed the engine & let it cool a few minutes.
2. I popped the hood and sprayed some Orange Degreaser Spray that I bought from the Dollar Tree.
3. Let the degreaser sit on the engine a few minutes while I washed the rest of the car
4. Rinsed of the motor without using the high pressure spray. DID NOT USE the high pressure spray.
5. Sprayed some more degreaser on the motor
6. Let the degreaser sit while I rinsed off the rest of the car.
7. Rinsed off the degreaser.
8. Lightly sprayed tire cleaner (from the car wash - not the kind you buy in a can) on the motor.
9. Let the tire cleaner sit on the motor while I cleaned my tires
10. Rinsed the tire cleaner off the motor.
11. Put the hood down, and rinsed off the hood.
12. Voila:

I don't clean my engine every time that I wash my car because I do feel that there are risks involved with spraying water and chemicals on the electrical parts. I do not clean the engine with a tooth brush. That thorough cleaning is reserved for my CB550. (The engine is smaller, and it is a lot harder to keep clean because it is exposed to the elements when I drive it, so I feel it is my obligation to get in there with a toothbrush and clean it properly.)

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I've never covered components when washing engines. Worst that has happened is that on cars with distributors I'd have to take the distributor cap off and dry it out, or on cars with plugs recessed into the head (DOHC engines) I've had to dry out the plug wells.

I've got to clean my engine this year. Cleaning it then spraying it down with tire shine or some other oily stuff works good as a protectant for all the exposed metal and also helps keep nuts and bolts from corroding / rusting as quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Back in the day I would sray wash my motor all the time, but over the years I learned some important things.
1) ELECTRONICS dont like water, high pressure or not so I try my best to keep water off of them.
2) If you fix the leaks and clean the mess, it wont get dirty as fast.
3) Wipe the motor down by hand, use spray detailing cleaners and finish sprays. I do mine almost every week in nice weather when I wash the car. If its clean to start, just a damp towel will get the dust off.
4) Dont let it get dirty and messy, take pride in your ride and make sure it looks as good as the rest of the car.

[attachment=29159:Motor_finished_2sm.JPG]
This was last fall, before the winter mess and dirt.

[attachment=29160:Red_engine_5sm.JPG]
This was just last week, the first quick clean of the season with more to come tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts