Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MFS is working fine but I was reading the Wiki articles and had a question about the grease.

http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/M...Switch_Cleaning
http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/M...Additional_info

The articles say to clean (remove) the grease because it is dirty. I was wondering if when I clean it I should leave with with no grease or put some back in there. If I should put some grease back in the MFS, what should I use. I didn't want to put dielectric grease in there and short out all the contacts and have all kinds of possessed wipers.

Thanks for the info on cleaning these. I wish I had known they could be cleaned before I replaced the one on my former '97 Taurus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (astc @ Jun 15 2009, 09:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732403
QUOTE (petriea @ Jun 15 2009, 10:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732401
I didn't want to put dielectric grease in there and short out all the contacts[/b]
Dielectric means insulating.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry, me typing faster than I can think. I wanted to verify if I should use grease and if so, what kind? I am worried that (conductive) grease might short between the contacts and dielectric grease might insulate so that the wiper switch might not function. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I didn't put any when I cleaned mine, and it works, but I can't say for how long.

If you use any, for sure dielectric. It supposedly gets scraped away when the switch moves, so doesn't interfere, but I assume that means it also doesn't do anything since it gets scraped away.

I think, leave the metal dry, and grease up any other moving parts.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
QUOTE (petriea @ Jun 15 2009, 12:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732425
QUOTE (astc @ Jun 15 2009, 09:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732403
QUOTE (petriea @ Jun 15 2009, 10:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732401
I didn't want to put dielectric grease in there and short out all the contacts[/b]
Dielectric means insulating.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry, me typing faster than I can think. I wanted to verify if I should use grease and if so, what kind? I am worried that (conductive) grease might short between the contacts and dielectric grease might insulate so that the wiper switch might not function. Sorry for the confusion.
[/b][/quote]

I cleaned mine with tv tuner cleaner from radio shack to fix my posessed turn signal. Fixed it right up.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Cleaned mine out with some cotton swabs, then hit it with some Radio Shack Contact Cleaner. I then lubed everything up good with white lithium grease. Fixed my wipers that would go nuts .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts