Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably some of you already know this, but I found out it some time ago, and I want to share with you guys...
A the store I bought Bar Keeper Friend, it cost less than $3. I followed the instructions on the can, they say to wet the surface before use it.

The front headlight before BKF.

After using Bar Keeper Friend.

It has still some spot, I will re do the process soon, but it is way much better that was before, as you can see. :)

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Those do look better. Bar Keepers Friend is a great product I use it for cleaning my stainless steel sink at home.

I have found that Blue Magic Plastic and Plexiglass cleaner works wonders on Taurus headlights.
BlueMagic

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Good job, but you need to take it to the next level. The polishing you did has removed the old UV blocker fromt he lens, now the sun can penetrate deep into the polcarbonate and scorch it. You need to reseal the surface of the lens with an approved clearcoat. The Rebright kit is the main one that I would recommend. Here is a link. The Best Professional Headlight Restoration Kit - ReBright

If you don't the lense will fog very quickly, and the damage will go deeper than it was the first time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've used Meguiar's PlastX on my 03 lenses with great results. Khan's post regarding the clear coat has me wondering if the PlastX product might also remove the clear coat. I've not noticed any return of the haze 2 years after applying the product and my car is parked outside year round. I'm curious to know if anyone has had to use the headlight restore kit after using PlastX.

PlastX can be found in most auto parts stores. Meguiar's Direct PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Any polishing product will remove the UV clearcoat. Plastic X might have some wax or something in it that might slow oxidation. Even so, a proper clearcoat is a safer bet. I have tried the Meguir's before and was disappointed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So how much $$$ is the ReBright Kit? The link isn't very helpful with no mention of prices. It looks like it is aimed at professional jobbers anyway.
That might not be any more economical than buying a new set of headlights from Keystone.

Brizio, thanks for the tip about the Bar Keeper's Friend.
I have had good success wet sanding with 1500-2000 grit, then polishing with a high speed buffer & light polishing compound.
It's not so hard to do, and lasts longer than waxing your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i used the turtle wax headlight restore on my 01 and it worked good, it has 4-step pads if they are really bad, and also a compund. i only used the compund because it cleared up, and then i waxed them

·
Registered
27 Posts
Brizio

Or any other member who used this product! Searching under Bar Keepers Friend there are several different Bar Keepers Friend products. It comes as a liquid, just a cleaner or a cleaner/polish. Also how long do I have rub the lens to get the desired results. Thank you for all your help folks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts