Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone again, I am in the process of installing new gaskets for the lower and upper intake manifold and then the valve cover gaskets.. I dissassembled everyone which went fairly smooth. As I was cleaning the block where the lower intake gasket goes, I noticed major carbon buildup on the inside of the cylinder block ( top of piston).. Using a shop vacuum and intake cleaner to remove this deposit.. which was sucking up all the grime.. is there a good procedure for cleaning?? Then I was thinkiing, should I even be doing this.. this is why I wanted to pose the question.. Ijust went through the rigorous adventure of changing the oil pan gasket and transmission gasket.. I have rags down in the engine chamber to prevent crud from droping inside the engine.

The procedure I have read was to even use degreaser to clean off the mating surface for the new gasket, using spary around the cylinder block area will loosing up this carbon buildup..

Any input would be greatly apreciated..

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
I don't think you're seeing the pistons, but rather the tops of the intake valves. The intake runners and valves do get dirty. Cleaning them can make the car run better, but you have to be careful how you do it. If the valve is open and you knock bits of carbon off, they can fall inside the cylinder and get ground up by the edge of the piston and the rings. Obviously this can cause scratching and extra engine wear as the ground-up carbon acts as an abrasive.

Also, if you spray it with a liquid and the valve is open, the liquid will run down into the cylinder. This can cause hydrolock when you start the engine the first time after the cleaning.

So if you want to clean the area, only clean the runners if the intake valves are closed. Use the shop vac before and after, and limit the amount of of liquid if you use a cleaning solution. Do not use chlorinated brake cleaner or you risk a nerve gas treatment when you start your car. To clean the rest of the runners, turn the engine by hand until the valves are closed and repeat the process.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I don't think you're seeing the pistons, but rather the tops of the intake valves. The intake runners and valves do get dirty. Cleaning them can make the car run better, but you have to be careful how you do it. If the valve is open and you knock bits of carbon off, they can fall inside the cylinder and get ground up by the edge of the piston and the rings. Obviously this can cause scratching and extra engine wear as the ground-up carbon acts as an abrasive.

Also, if you spray it with a liquid and the valve is open, the liquid will run down into the cylinder. This can cause hydrolock when you start the engine the first time after the cleaning.

So if you want to clean the area, only clean the runners if the intake valves are closed. Use the shop vac before and after, and limit the amount of of liquid if you use a cleaning solution. Do not use chlorinated brake cleaner or you risk a nerve gas treatment when you start your car. To clean the rest of the runners, turn the engine by hand until the valves are closed and repeat the process.
I have had good luck with acetone and rags, and rags on a dowel rod. See my pic.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124-taurus-sable-general-discussion/168935-cleaning-project.html

Actetone evaporates quickly, but softens gunk really well. I agree fully about turning the engine so each valve is closed. If I used any cleaner, I would want it dry before vacuuming. ;)

Just my experience.

-chart-

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys.. I decided to clean up teh gasket mating area and not get involved intot he top of the cyclinder...I cleaned the ones I started with compressed air nozzle to get as much of the solvent out.. along with shop vac.

I am amazed as to the amount of gunk on the lower intake manifold its filthy, this is what I am focussing on today..

I have read that even if you clean the deposit off the top of teh cylinder it will come back especially if you onlky drive the vehicle in the city.. Thjis vehicle is primarily driven in the city.. Once I get this puppy back together I will add injector cleaner and run it at high speeds on the highway.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Mike123333
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing