Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya im really lazy and i feel like using my pressure washer to clean the engine bay and stuff around it but somethings tell me thats a bad idea even though ive thought of covering up my air intake since theres only a box.
But ive heard that you can do this but that you just need some special soap.
Now is what im saying stupid and if it is how can i keep my engine and its surroundings nice and clean?
:05:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER TO CLEAN THE ENGINE BAY!

People see the most problems afterwards that way.

A garden hose will work fine. Just spray everything down liberally with simple green or a similar cleaner. The only things I covered were the battery (I just removed the whole thing actually, and covered the cables). I let it sit for a minute, and then I took to some of the dirtier surfaces with a soft to medium bristled brush. I gave it a good scrubbing, then I washed it all off with the garden hose. I repeated the process a second time in some of the dirtier spots.

I then let it sit out in the sun for about a half hour or so, then I started it up, with no problems. I let it run for about 5 minutes, then I took it for a spin, with no problems.

TIP: Make sure you do this when the engine is either cold or warm (NOT HOT). By warm I mean it hasnt been driven for an hour or two.

This is what worked for me, and im sure others have different ways of doing so. To each his own.

-Damon

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 5 of 5 Posts