Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look at how clean the frontside of the throttle body is compared to the backside!!! I have a K&N panel filter installed and there is absolutely NO OIL from the filter inside the inktake or on the MAF.

No, I did not take the manifold and roll it in the dirt before taking the pics.... but it sure looks like it.

The fuel injectors only fire into the primaries, so fuel system cleaner does not reach the secondaries.... They are really really dirty. Cleaning them should help.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by fire_storm20@Apr 27 2004, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure if you should use degreaser or a chisel.
I take it you did not get the 60K service done?
The car has met every scheduled service and uses full synthetic oil changed every 5k. The 60k service does not include cleaning the upper and lower intake manifolds.

I purchased the car with 22k miles 3.5 years ago. The sticking throttle has always been present.

I looked into the heads at the intake valves. The primaries look great, clean enough to eat from... the secondaries are horrible.

I may look into an oil seperator. The PCV and breather tubes from the heads are causing all the gunk.

·
Registered
318 Posts
WOW!

(Ugh! I think I'm going to be sick...)

Like you said, you probably have a PCV problem. Maybe the problem was there when you bought the car, (sticking throttle ever since you owned it...) and the gunk was just never cleaned out. It sure won't go away by itself, though.
To begin with, I'd certainly clean out all that hazanga, and replace the PCV valve and use a new set of PCV tubing. The breather tubes need to be connected to a source of filtered air, too. Once there's oily residue inside, any airborne dust will stick to it, and exacerbate the problem.
Once the PCV and intake systems are resored to "like new" status, you might want to chek into that air/oil separator. If the PCV system is connected and working properly, you might not even need the separator.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have a gen 3... When I pull out the PCV valve from the backside valve cover.. I see some oil in the valve... Is this normal?

What filter can I put in there? I mean before the PCV vale on that tube...
any pics or what to I look for at the parts store

·
Registered
79 Posts
How's this for an intake??? I was too scared to try and clean it, didn't want all that s*** falling into the engine. That I wasn't too sure about taking off the fuel rail and all that other stuff. I would really like to clean mine too. The butterfly valves are espically discusting. lemmie know what you use to clean them with. I tried that whole vinager and water thing in the spray bottle but my engine kept stalling when I sprayed it. So I gave up on that idea.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wessy,

I took my lower intake completely off. I'm going to do some other things while it's out, like change the plugs, wire, PCV valve.....etc... I'm going to need to replace the gaskets. The rubber rings in the gaskets expanded once the gaskets were removed, so I will replace them to ensure a good seal.

One problem I have now is that when I disconnected the fuel injectors from the plugs, the little locking tab on EVERY SINGLE PLUG BROKE OFF!!!!! Ugh..... Every single one! I didn't force them or anything.... a light touch and "click"... the little black plastic tab snapped off. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.

I used Carb and Choke cleaner. I needed 4 cans. First I used a can of Berryman's ChemTool Professional.... About $3.50 a can for 20oz.... it worked OK, but I followed that up with the cheap stuff.... $1.30 a can for 13oz... It worked just as well as Berryman's. I also cleaned the throttle body, the upper intake, and the lower intake.

Finished product below.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check this out. I noticed this while I had them apart.

The upper intake port are SMALLER than the lower. I measured them

The upper intakes are 30mm Primary, 32mm Secondary
The lower intakes are 33mm Primary, 35mm Secondary.

The lower intakes match the size of the heads' intakes.

I might take Bob up on the Port and Polish, but I'm going to see how a Gen 4 plastic intake fits first.

This picture is looking up through the lower intake to where the upper meets the lower. You can see the edge of the smaller upper intake ports overlapping the lowers.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
When you ground off the ends of the screws, did you any thread locker to make sure the shorter screws wouldn't wiggle or vibrate free? How did you cut the ends off? Did you take everyhing apart and measure the screws, then cut them, or did you just stick a grinder into the LIM while everything was still assembled?

How the heck are you going to get your injectors back on there with the broken tabs?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by mikehawk@Apr 30 2004, 08:24 AM
When you ground off the ends of the screws, did you any thread locker to make sure the shorter screws wouldn't wiggle or vibrate free? How did you cut the ends off? Did you take everyhing apart and measure the screws, then cut them, or did you just stick a grinder into the LIM while everything was still assembled?

How the heck are you going to get your injectors back on there with the broken tabs?
I checked to make sure they were good and tight, then I used a grinder with everything assembled. I can remove them and apply thread locker, but I suspect they had thread locker from the factory.

Yeah... the fuel injectors are going to be a headache. I found an '02 Duratec engine harness for sale on ebay. I'm going to use that. (So don't outbid me!!!!
)

·
Registered
116 Posts
go to napa and get some degreaser cleaner, i guarentee it will work , i used some on my 93 taurus on the ac pump because it was greased out and it came clean, after all that was 10 years of crap on there

1 - 17 of 17 Posts