Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is what I am working with. I have seen threads on here with pics of nice clean engines but no real tips on how to. I have just gotten this car and would like to clean the engine so it doesnt look like this, any serious suggestions encouraged! I do not want to attempt just yet b/c i would like a consensus on the best method of approaching this...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i have always hear good things about steam cleaning but i have never had it done so i do not have any personal experience with it. there are also other cleaners you can use with just water from your hose but again i have never used any of them...

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Myself on any engine I've ever cleaned, I usually spray it down with a degreaser that's compatible with aluminum. I should mention the engine should be cold when cleaning. After spraying the engine down, use just a regular garden hose and rinse it off good. Then I run the engine and get it hot to speed up drying time and to get water out of stuff like alternator and off of the belt. Watch when spraying degreaser around the belt as it may cause squealing when it dries if it is not completely rinsed off.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jun 2 2010, 03:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808608
i have always hear good things about steam cleaning but i have never had it done so i do not have any personal experience with it. there are also other cleaners you can use with just water from your hose but again i have never used any of them...[/b]
Have you ever cleaned your engine? If so how? Kind of would like first hand experience before I start.

QUOTE (the_intimidator_02 @ Jun 2 2010, 06:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808622
Myself on any engine I've ever cleaned, I usually spray it down with a degreaser that's compatible with aluminum. I should mention the engine should be cold when cleaning. After spraying the engine down, use just a regular garden hose and rinse it off good. Then I run the engine and get it hot to speed up drying time and to get water out of stuff like alternator and off of the belt. Watch when spraying degreaser around the belt as it may cause squealing when it dries if it is not completely rinsed off.[/b]
Sounds like a good approach, thx for the tips. I am just nervous about breaking or getting water/cleaner into anything that could be harmful. I am thinking a toothbrush also :huh: I dont want to frig anything up while cleaning.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you have an air compressor, that will be an excellent resource at blowing dust, water, etc out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you don't want to risk water infiltration(smart), spray down all but belts and exhaust with WD-40. Wipe off as much as possible with rags. Done! (And you have some corrosion protection)

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I've been wanting to try this too with my engine using some kind of foaming cleaner or the products they sell at AutoZone etc.. But I've heard that you should mask off certain things? or put bags over the coil pack, alternator etc.. is this true? Or can I just spray everything and then run the engine right after to dry it out again?

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (DavidLaMattina @ Jun 4 2010, 01:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809191
I've been wanting to try this too with my engine using some kind of foaming cleaner or the products they sell at AutoZone etc.. But I've heard that you should mask off certain things? or put bags over the coil pack, alternator etc.. is this true? Or can I just spray everything and then run the engine right after to dry it out again?[/b]
I took care of my whole engine bay with a pressure washer, but from a good 6-8 feet away so that the spray wasn't intense enough to do anything bad to the seals, hoses, wire harnesses, etc. Make sure the engine is cooled down first; if you really want to play it safe, cover the coil pack, front fuse box, battery, and airbox/TB intake tube.

[attachment=33397:IMG_3748.JPG]

/Photo whoring. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Simple green a brush a garden hose and compressed air. If it doesn't all come clean the first time than drive it for a week and do it again, that should do it and it will stay clean for quite a while. Whats nice about simple green is not only does it clean off grease pretty well it will not harm the painted areas or the plastic bits. I use it on my motorcycle as well, good stuff and safe to.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
WELL, the first thing you need to do is completely strip down the engine to the bare block, then get a new toothbrush and some soapy water and scrub everything really good till all the grease, oil and dirt are all gone. Next step is to paint EVERYTHING that you took off and polish it till it has a mirror shine in the paint. :blink: :rofl2:

OK, really, what I did, I started with a set of clean towels / rags and some windex. Ispray the windex onto the rags and then wipe down the parts till they are clean. Once its all clean, its really easy to keep it clean. I always take a damp towel after washing the car and wipe down the motor to keep the dust and dirt from settling in. I would not spray anything with any kind of pressure onto a newer motor, just to many wrong parts could get wet or worse. I'm not saying it wont work, I just would rather not do it. I would rather spend a little extra time and elbow grease to get it clean safer.

Now for the picture of my motor, not that everyone hasnt seen them already..LOL. B)

[attachment=33403:BL02.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Generally, I just use the spray hose at the local car wash. They have an engine degreaser selection. I spray it down with that, then I rinse it off.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about damaging anything in the engine bay with water, so long as you aren't using high pressure up really close. Remember that it is exposed to the elements the majority of the time, so anything that can be harmed from water contact is usually protected from general wetness.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (dsaucie7 @ Jun 4 2010, 03:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809228
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jun 4 2010, 01:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809198
Two words: SIMPLE GREEN.[/b]
How long have you been using Simple Green?
[/b][/quote]

I have personally have not used Simple Green yet. It's still sitting on the shelf in the garage. I should use it when I have a chance. Lots of TCCA members have used it. I personally know SHOCal members using only Simple Green to clean the motors and it works really well. And I don't mean just cleaning the outside, but for the internals like the oil pan and block. It's highly recommended.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great method!

I needed to clean my car inside and out, everything was covered with a layer of pollen, dust and grease. I didn't want to be inhaling pollen while doing body work. So after seeing this thread, I chose this method. I have rust in my engine, and worried about putting water in it. Plus, windex has ammonia that has corrosion fighting properties.

I spent about 50 minutes wiping down the engine. It's not the cherry candy goodness pictured above :p but definitely much better. Plus it gave me an opportunity to really inspect the engine hoses and all. I made sure to spray any rusty areas. The only thing I could add to it, is using one of those cans of air, like you clean your computer with, to blow away dust in areas the rag can't quite get to.

Now she's all clean with a little snarl.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (kismetmiss @ Jun 5 2010, 01:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809568
Great method!

I needed to clean my car inside and out, everything was covered with a layer of pollen, dust and grease. I didn't want to be inhaling pollen while doing body work. So after seeing this thread, I chose this method. I have rust in my engine, and worried about putting water in it. Plus, windex has ammonia that has corrosion fighting properties.

I spent about 50 minutes wiping down the engine. It's not the cherry candy goodness pictured above :p but definitely much better. Plus it gave me an opportunity to really inspect the engine hoses and all. I made sure to spray any rusty areas. The only thing I could add to it, is using one of those cans of air, like you clean your computer with, to blow away dust in areas the rag can't quite get to.

Now she's all clean with a little snarl.[/b]
You should spend your time better. Maybe on the exterior. lol

·
Registered
870 Posts
I myself have cleaned my engine many times. I've used everything from Simple Green to Castrol Degreaser to Engine Brite Foam... I start out with a cool/warm engine as not to cause any damage, I only cover my air filter because it is a cone, I spray a liberal amount of cleaner over the engine and a bit more in those harder to reach areas. Using a soft bristle brush with a long handle, I scrub the engine, rinse using the a multiifunction nozzle on the garden hose, using the "jet" selection to almost power wash those hard to reach areas, and the "shower" selection to rinse the engine. Once completly dry, I lightly spray the engine with Meguire's
Liquid tire shine!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts