Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Taurus may have only 65,000 miles on it, but it's still a 20-year-old car with its share of dents and scrapes. I wanted to illustrate the benefits of what a proper detail job can do for older vehicles, provided the clearcoat is still intact.

I spent a good eight hours working the paint on this car, and it was worth it. Not bad for an old station wagon!

After washing meticulosly with Dawn (to strip everything) twice, I used the Mother's brand of clay bar kit followed up with Black Magic to provide protection. I used a random-orbit polisher for this process - so do that at your own risk. Yes, it is possible to damage the paint with mechanized equipment, so be careful on those areas where the paint may be thin!

·
Registered
32 Posts
NICE!

WOW! Nice Job - looks really great! Spectacular!

I wish my 20 yo came out looking that good. Now I'm jealous.:D

Did you use both clay bars on the car or just one? What did you use on the plastic/rubber trim to get them looking so sharp?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the compliments!

I used just one clay bar and saved the other one. As long as you knead it often, it should handle one vehicle with no problem.

I didn't use any product on the rubber or trim, believe it or not. This car has a lot of bumps and bruises (which the photos hide) but the exterior plastic and rubber has held up really well. I try to park it in the shade when possible.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey, thanks for the compliments!
No man, after struggling through a detail attempt, I can tell what a spectacular job you have there...and it deserves praise!

I used just one clay bar and saved the other one. As long as you knead it often, it should handle one vehicle with no problem. !
I did the same, but by the end, the clay felt like playdoh! I'm thinking I used it too long?

I didn't use any product on the rubber or trim, believe it or not. This car has a lot of bumps and bruises (which the photos hide) but the exterior plastic and rubber has held up really well. I try to park it in the shade when possible.
Man! You are really lucky! Mine was garage housed, driven to work and parked inside and still a lot of the plastic has "issues!" Speaking of the dents - been thinking about painless dent repair. Read some where they'd do it for $75 a panel but haven't confirmed that.

Keep up the good work!

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,683 Posts
Wow. This is a nice car.. and from the Northeast. I want to see this one at Carlisle in '15 ;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
WOW! Nice Job - looks really great! Spectacular!

I wish my 20 yo came out looking that good. Now I'm jealous.:D

Did you use both clay bars on the car or just one? What did you use on the plastic/rubber trim to get them looking so sharp?

Agree car looks great.

To restore the color of black rubber or plastic trim I like VRT from Adams Polishes.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I will speak from personal experience on both Mothers and Meguiars Clay Bar Kits, I did mine twice this year and they do make a difference. The videos say there can be such thing as overkill on ClayBar though. The general recommendations is not more than maybe two-three times a year. I did a spring ClayBar application in April and a winter treatment in October. For winter I will plan just a good coat of polish and wax.

For those of you in the buffer market I recommend the Porter Cable XP7424. Highly recommended by auto detail experts as a forgiving even for the beginners.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Looks great! I did the clay bar, 2-step polish and wax on my Sable this spring. I'm sure it was the first time it had been done. Definitely an all day job, but well worth the effort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts