Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Class Action Against Ford Flex

10K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Exocet 
#1 ·
I saw today on the news that there will be a class action lawsuit against Ford for how they designed the engine for the Ford Flex and Edge. The "geniuses" who designed this engine decided to put the water pump - inside - the engine. Now when you have to replace the water pump it cost up to $5000 to tear the engine apart and then rebuild it again. Nice going ford. A part that you know will repeatedly wear out, is now virtually impossible for the average guy to replace.

Instead of the coolant leaking out, now in the Ford Flex and Ford Edge the coolant mixes with the engines oil, causing further engine damage.

Here is a youtube video (actually two videos because it takes so long to replace the water pump) showing the procedure on what is involved to replace the water pump.

Here is more information about the lawsuit;

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer...pump-failure-can-cost-thousands-on-some-fords

#2 ·
Same engine as the Taurus. Pump was put inside to keep the engine "shorter" so it would fit. The F150 with the same engine has the pump mounted externally since the engine bay is larger and the engine is mounted longitudinally.

2 failure modes: 1) Most common failure mode: coolant leaks out a weep hole by the alternator giving you a warning that the pump has failed. 2) Less common: Coolant leaks internally into the crankcase causing engine failure. Coolant in oil kills main and rod bearings.

#3 ·
Pumps don't necessarily wear out. Most people here with '01+ Duratec 30's haven't had to replace the pump, because moving it off the belt drive helped cut down on bearing wear.

Reactions: james27613
#5 ·
PIC of what GM did for clean sheet design, 3.9L. I can change the belt in 10 min easy, Alt in 15min easy. Note water pump, not like other pushrod engines, offset and on easy access as well as the stat which is in the water pump outlet. Has ~6" clear from the pulleys to fender and same in front. Oil Filter straight down and shielded by the oil pan. Larger car but larger engine with lots of access. VVT design pushrod iron block makes 230hp in 3.9L. Wide torque band, revs high. Not a fan much of GM but about the only thing I can get with column shift.

I would never buy any car with the water pump inside the engine. Nothing wrong with the DOHC Bulls of mine. Never any issues with 4 of them. Nothing wrong with the belt off the cam shaft.

My Lin Cont 4.6 had the conventional water pump front center of the engine and close to zero clearance to the fender. 2 hours to change the belt. That is if you have the trick ideas for a one person belt change. I can't imagine changing the wp.
-chart-

Attachments

#6 ·
The same engine is in the 07-12 MKZ and 10-12 Fusion Sport models.

#8 ·
I've loved the Flex since the first time I saw one and would have traded in Third Bull in a heartbeat for one. But...thanks to TCCA I learned quickly to just say no. I'm in no position to be dealing with a water pump expense that runs into the thousands. Back in 09 when I got Third Bull, I had the water pump replaced for $78 and it's still running just fine.

#10 ·
It's worth noting the original post is largely filled with exaggeration and faux outrage. It isn't a cheap procedure, but $5000 is for an engine replacement, not a water pump job. That's closer to $1k. The pump is also not designed to fail into the engine, it's designed to leak outside through a weep hole.

It's also worth noting that there's a good deal of evidence that the catastrophic failures are due to improper coolant maintenance, and that as the coolant turns acidic with age, it eats the seals. This is especially prevalent with the orange coolant Ford switched to around 2012.

Reactions: kekaye56
#11 ·
It's worth noting the original post is largely filled with exaggeration and faux outrage. It isn't a cheap procedure, but $5000 is for an engine replacement, not a water pump job. That's closer to $1k. The pump is also not designed to fail into the engine, it's designed to leak outside through a weep hole.

It's also worth noting that there's a good deal of evidence that the catastrophic failures are due to improper coolant maintenance, and that as the coolant turns acidic with age, it eats the seals. This is especially prevalent with the orange coolant Ford switched to around 2012.
Falcon, how long an interval are they suggesting for the coolant change with the orange stuff?

#12 ·
I always change coolant in all my cars every 3 years regardless of mileage. I have done this for 45 years and have had virtually no cooling system issues, premature failures of cooling system parts, etc. Same with brake fluid. Changed every 3 years. My 34 year old 86 Tbird 5.0 is still on its original water pump, original brake MC, original front calipers, original flex lines, etc. Did have to replace a rear wheel cylinder a couple years ago. Half hour job, and $12 for the wheel cylinder. 88 Turbo Coupe still has the original (and ULTRA expensive to replace) Teves II ABS master cylinder at 272,000 miles.

Reactions: kekaye56
#15 ·
The 09-12 Mazda 6 used the same 3.7L V6 engine. Supposedly, about $2k to replace the water pump since you have to remove the engine.

Chrysler/Dodge found out the hard way with the 3.5L in the old LH platforms (Concorde & Intrepid). Internal waterpump was prone puking coolant into the oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.