Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I picked up an MP3/CD player on clearance for $30 at Kmart the other day, including a car kit (with a cassette adapter that workes better than the $20 Radio SHack one I had before). Todayat work I go to pull the adapter out of the lighter socket, and the inner sleeve of the socket pulled right out along with it! The plug and outer sleeve are just hanging loose inside the flip-down tray with the ashtray in it. I can't see any way of getting to it without taking the whole dash apart to get the panels off. Does anyone know of a better way? My Ford service CD shows places to remove screws that don't exist on my car <_<

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Cigar Lighter
Console Mounted

Removal

Remove ash receptacle as described.

Disconnect electrical connectors to cigar lighter socket and retainer (15055).

Remove the cigar lighter socket and retainer by unscrewing retainer from socket.

Installation

Follow removal procedure in reverse order.

Instrument Panel Mounted

Removal

NOTE: Do not remove ash receptacle (30702) from instrument panel (04320).

Open ash receptacle.

Disconnect electrical connectors to cigar lighter socket and retainer.

Remove cigar lighter socket and retainer by unscrewing retainer from socket.

Installation

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove ash receptacle as described
How?

As for the electrical connector, it's just hanging down behind where the socket should go. I need to be able to put the socket back into flip-down ashtray (which is in a really stupid location on the gen 3's, I might add), then push the wire harness on from the back, and I have no way of getting to the back side of the ashtraay, without apparently removing all of the trim panels around it, starting under the steering wheel.

Thanks, but I hope there are a few more suggestions out there :)

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Ash Receptacle
Console Mounted

Removal

Remove beverage holder by carefully unsnapping front portion using a flat-blade screwdriver. Grasp beverage holder and unsnap from console panel (045A36).

Open ash receptacle (30702) and move gearshift lever (7210) to 1 position.

Grasp console top panel (044D90) and pull rearward to unsnap from console center finish panel. Remove electrical connectors from cigar lighter socket and retainer (15055) and lamp assembly.

Remove console top panel from vehicle.

Installation

Instrument Panel Mounted

Removal

Disconnect battery ground cable (14301). Refer to Section 14-01 .

Open ash receptacle.

At RH rear of ash receptacle, disconnect electrical connectors to cigar lighter socket and retainer.

Depress locking tab on LH rear and RH rear corners of ash receptacle toward center and pull ash receptacle from instrument panel (04320).

Unscrew retainer from socket and remove cigar lighter socket and retainer.

Installation

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give that a look tomorrow, thanks! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts